Eagles didn't stick to the script

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A couple of days ago I had a maddening experience. On the positive side two eagles did a chase around and around our boat at very close quarters. Bad news I was shooting 600mm and couldn't fit a bird in the frame. Also I was under a canvas enclosure and only had about 135 degree field of view that I could shoot in. Certainly a challenge trying to find a bird's head in the VF and fire a burst as they flashed by so close and at high speed. It was interesting to witness up close but so frustrating from a photography standpoint. It was also a good reminder that as advanced as the AF has become it's still not magic. Anyway... here's what I managed to come away with.

Nikon Z8/600mm 6.3, full manual exposure w/sunny 16 settings

1) This is as close as I got to fitting a bird in the frame during the chase.
Z8A_0711_DxO.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

When the chase was over one of the birds circled back around at more reasonable shooting range and against a nice dark BG.

2)
Z8A_0733_DxO.jpg

3)
Z8A_0750_DxO.jpg

4) This was the best of the lot IMO.
Z8A_0766_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of days ago I had a maddening experience. On the positive side two eagles did a chase around and around our boat at very close quarters. Bad news I was shooting 600mm and couldn't fit a bird in the frame. Also I was under a canvas enclosure and only had about 135 degree field of view that I could shoot in. Certainly a challenge trying to find a bird's head in the VF and fire a burst as they flashed by so close and at high speed. It was interesting to witness up close but so frustrating from a photography standpoint. It was also a good reminder that as advanced as the AF has become it's still not magic. Anyway... here's what I managed to come away with.

Nikon Z8/600mm 6.3, full manual exposure w/sunny 16 settings

1) This is as close as I got to fitting a bird in the frame.
View attachment 91422

When the chase was over one of the birds circled back around at more reasonable shooting range and against a nice dark BG.

2)
View attachment 91419

3)
View attachment 91420

4) This was the best of the lot IMO.
View attachment 91421
Excellent set Dan! I really like the first one the best👍👍👍

Great images Dan, love the lighting!
Thanks, Dave. Yeah it's nice to be reminded once in a while that lighting matters :)

Great set, Dan.
Thanks, Rick. Wish I'd been able to do a little more when they were close. Lots of clipped wings and tails.

Excellent set Dan! Wonderful images!
Glad you enjoyed them, Doug.

Great set, great light
Thanks, Bill. It was a rare sunny morning on Prince William Sound.

Excellent set Dan! I really like the first one the best👍👍👍
Thanks, Ralph. Yeah I love the detail in the first one and the lighting in the last one.

Terrific set Dan.
Thanks, Louie.

Dan,
Considering your challenges you did very well, very nice sequence.
I think we all had similar challenges one way or another
Chris S
Thanks, Chris. I hate that I squandered the chance when they came so close. Though I do have plenty more frames of head and body shots.

Nice! Congrats
Thanks, Charles.

Nicely done. Oh, for a zoom lens when you need one in a moment! Of course if you've had a zoom on the birds would have stayed distant :)
Thanks, Steven. No like I mentioned in another thread we just have to learn to live with missed opportunities. Can't get them all. I made my choices. The 180-600 was on the shelf at home. And there was a 400mm tucked away in my bag just a few feet away. :confused:

Back