If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BEE19923-5AC5-41E3-87A9-AF0D6FBDA3D4.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A9A40382-44FB-488F-8C28-205295534348.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Two pictures of Buffalo taken thirty minutes after sunrise w70-200 f2.8 on my D500. Manual w/auto ISO). 90mm, f8, 500/th sec.(+.7 Exp comp) Second trip out to Buffalo and learning more each time. Don’t know that these are as sharp as original, as on 27” desk top monitor, I can see pupil/iris. Welcome your thoughts!

Last edited:
Small technicality but those are bisons, not buffalos. Blame Buffalo bill whose correct name should have been Bison Bill which somehow doesn’t have the same ring to it :)

Though the terms are often used interchangeably, buffalo and bison are distinct animals. Old World “true” buffalo (Cape buffalo and water buffalo) are native to Africa and Asia. Bison are found in North America and Europe. Both bison and buffalo are in the bovidae family, but the two are not closely related.

Stop being pedantic. They are colloquial names that were here before us and part of our culture out west.

Stop being pedantic. They are colloquial names that were here before us and part of our culture out west.
Thats true, but scientifically, they are two distinct species. Buffalo is a common name and common names a very frequently used but the scientist and teacher in me could not resist pointing that out that very often common names can be confusing. And I’m sure FB101 couldn’t resist pointing that out as well. 😉

Thats true, but scientifically, they are two distinct species. Buffalo is a common name and common names a very frequently used but the scientist and teacher in me could not resist pointing that out that very often common names can be confusing. And I’m sure FB101 couldn’t resist pointing that out as well. 😉
It’s all good I think most people realize the scientific name but choose to use the cultural term.
Bison Bill sounds stupid

Maybe I used Buffalo because I am a North Dakota Sioux fan, rather than an NDSU Bison fan! :)
And to think "All I wanted was some feed back on the picture in regard to exposure settings, etc." (y)
The two pictures I posted were straight out of the camera - no editing, no cropping.

Maybe I used Buffalo because I am a North Dakota Sioux fan, rather than an NDSU Bison fan! :)
And to think "All I wanted was some feed back on the picture in regard to exposure settings, etc." (y)
The two pictures I posted were straight out of the camera - no editing, no cropping.
I think both photos are nice but would probably do some post editing.
i shoot raw so post editing is part of the whole experience.
I would raise the shadows a touch on the first one, maybe using the elliptical tool in Lightroom, and go from there.
I’m just a novice at best tho so better wait for someone that knows better

I didn’t mean to offend anybody but I also didn’t expect it would be pedantic to point out on a forum dedicated to wildlife that the colloquial name is not scientifically correct. After that, folks can call them whatever they are comfortable with, it really doesn’t ruffle my tail feathers. But it doesn’t change the underlying scientific fact either, not any more than calling (Haliaeetus leucocephalus a bald eagle makes it actually bald.

i wouldn’t point out that a Buffalo is actually a bison on a forum dedicated to the appreciation of western culture and lifestyle simply because it would be silly to do so - in that context, the animal is actually known as a Buffalo. Here, I would hope both sides of that coin can cohabitate because the fact that it’s a bison will never deter anyone from calling it a Buffalo if that’s what they are used to, and calling it a Buffalo will never change the fact that it’s scientifically a bison.

And in the end, it’s really a Tatanka “he who owns us” as named by the Lakota - they got first dibs on naming the beast :)

I think both photos are nice but would probably do some post editing.
i shoot raw so post editing is part of the whole experience.
I would raise the shadows a touch on the first one, maybe using the elliptical tool in Lightroom, and go from there.
I’m just a novice at best tho so better wait for someone that knows better
Thank you very much! Just in the process of buying a new lap top. While I use Adobe Photoshop on my desk top, I am going to make an effort to begin using Light Room, and begin shooting in RAW - wish me luck! Thanks!

It’s all good I think most people realize the scientific name but choose to use the cultural term.
Bison Bill sounds stupid
Truthfully Hut, I didn‘t even realize they weren’t Buffalo until FB101 mentioned it. So I went and checked it out. Add that to the things I learned from this website. 😉Thanks Steve FB101 and Steve. Hut, I also learned the meaning of a new word, “pedantic”. Had to look that one up as well.😂

Last edited:
Truthfully Hut, I didn‘t even realize they weren’t Buffalo until FB101 mentioned it. So I went and checked it out. Add that to the things I llearned from this website. 😉Thanks Steve FB101 and Steve. Hut, I also learned the meaning of a new word, “pedantic”. Had to look that one up as well.😂
I honestly was hesitant to throw that one out there. It wasn’t meant in an offensive manner. 😆

I didn’t mean to offend anybody but I also didn’t expect it would be pedantic to point out on a forum dedicated to wildlife that the colloquial name is not scientifically correct. After that, folks can call them whatever they are comfortable with, it really doesn’t ruffle my tail feathers. But it doesn’t change the underlying scientific fact either, not any more than calling (Haliaeetus leucocephalus a bald eagle makes it actually bald.

i wouldn’t point out that a Buffalo is actually a bison on a forum dedicated to the appreciation of western culture and lifestyle simply because it would be silly to do so - in that context, the animal is actually known as a Buffalo. Here, I would hope both sides of that coin can cohabitate because the fact that it’s a bison will never deter anyone from calling it a Buffalo if that’s what they are used to, and calling it a Buffalo will never change the fact that it’s scientifically a bison.

And in the end, it’s really a Tatanka “he who owns us” as named by the Lakota - they got first dibs on naming the beast :)
No offense meant or taken. I have been on birding forums for years and I always hate being the guy that corrects identification but someone’s gotta do it 😇

I went to the University of Colorado and we were the Buffaloes, not the freaking Bison. My dad was a veterinarian, and he treated Buffalo, not Bison. The song doesn’t go “ where the Bison roam”. LOL. The names we all use don’t need to be scientifically correct, but since my background is science related I fully understand the need to properly classify for scientific reasons.

meanwhile to the OP, very nice pictures!

Thank you very much! Just in the process of buying a new lap top. While I use Adobe Photoshop on my desk top, I am going to make an effort to begin using Light Room, and begin shooting in RAW - wish me luck! Thanks!
I like to use Lightroom classic which is a subscription. I would suggest shooting raw and maybe watch a few youtube videos first.
My workflow consists of basic editing with tools in LRC (lightroom classic) such as crop, white balance and slight corrections to exposure, I will then edit with Topaz Denoise if required. Next up Topaz Studio because I prefer the sliders in "precision contrast", "HSL Color Tuning" and the vignette tools in studio. Sounds crazy when I type it but it works for me I guess....lol

I like to use Lightroom classic which is a subscription. I would suggest shooting raw and maybe watch a few youtube videos first.
My workflow consists of basic editing with tools in LRC (lightroom classic) such as crop, white balance and slight corrections to exposure, I will then edit with Topaz Denoise if required. Next up Topaz Studio because I prefer the sliders in "precision contrast", "HSL Color Tuning" and the vignette tools in studio. Sounds crazy when I type it but it works for me I guess....lol
Thank you very much - that gives me a good starting point and a great road map!