Eastern Amberwing and Blue Dasher

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Both using the Nikon D500 and 300 PF.

Eastern Amberwing-.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Blur Dasher -6254.jpg

"The dragonflies are all but gone from here."

According to my best buddy who is an Aquatic Entomologist (Ph.D.) : Dragonflies are poikilothermic insects: their activity increases as the temperature increases.

Monday am I went out early and there were 0 bugs. NONE! When back out at 3 (88 degrees) and there were everywhere!

I needed a better side shot of the Blue Dasher to confirm the ID. This confirms it!

Blue Dasher-2.jpg

5 image stack to get the head/tail and all the wings in focus.

"The dragonflies are all but gone from here."

According to my best buddy who is an Aquatic Entomologist (Ph.D.) : Dragonflies are poikilothermic insects: their activity increases as the temperature increases.

Monday am I went out early and there were 0 bugs. NONE! When back out at 3 (88 degrees) and there were everywhere!

I needed a better side shot of the Blue Dasher to confirm the ID. This confirms it!

View attachment 22608

5 image stack to get the head/tail and all the wings in focus.
Beautiful shot! I went out yesterday and saw a few but not near as many as even a week ago. It’s supposed to be sweltering the rest of the week, so we’ll see if it improves. I’ve never tried to focus stack a dragonfly but do it quiet often with slower moving bugs. I’ll have to give that a try.

Yes. We have a lot of backwater areas of the Mississippi River here on pool 5a. I took these shots at the Minnesota Boat Club in Minnesota City which is about 5 miles from my house. They are a BIG bug!

The Eastern Amberwing is only about 1" long and according to the Dragonflies of the North Woods, we are in the very northern portion of its territory.

Thanks!

The Helicon FB Tube works with the camera set to high-speed shutter (10 fps), so I get more than enough in 1 second! Many species of Dragonflies will have a "favorite perch" so they can watch over their territory. So once you figure that out, you can focus on the perch and manually adjust the focus once they land.

I have to use a tripod and I also use a remote shutter release to make sure everything is settled down before I shoot. The slightest movement and the dragonfly with 2 claspers on its abdomen will end up with 3 or 4 in the stack result!

Last edited:
Back