Eastern Screech-Owl after sunset

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Palmor

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Eastern Screech-Owl (Red Morph) coming out of their hole after the sunset. It was dark enough I could barely see the owl with the naked eye on the first two shots. I couldn't see the owl at all on the last shot if I didn't know where he was.

ILCE-1 FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens 600mm f/4.0 1/20s 4000 ISO 0.0 EV
A_101206_1500.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

ILCE-1 FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens 600mm f/4.0 1/20s 4000 ISO 0.0 EV
A_101251_1500.jpg

ILCE-1 FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens 600mm f/4.0 1/20s 12800 ISO 0.0 EV
A_101313_1500.jpg

Just a quick video clip I took as well

Last edited:
Interesting set. Today's digital cameras are amazing. We can make captures that could only have been done with artificial lighting back in the film days.

Interesting set. Today's digital cameras are amazing. We can make captures that could only have been done with artificial lighting back in the film days.

I agree 100%. This is another reason I love mirrorless as well, it would have been very difficult to get these shots with an OVF.

I agree 100%. This is another reason I love mirrorless as well, it would have been very difficult to get these shots with an OVF.
Good point. Nikon has come out with "starlight" mode for the EVF. Which is an interesting choice of terminology. The first night vision optics that became available for the US military many years ago was the "starlight scope".

Back