If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Paul T

Supporting Member
Marketplace
These birds are known as the Eastern Spinebill. They are a very common bird on the East Coast of Australia. While common they can be difficult to photograph as they are a relatively small bird , constantly on the move and often high in the canopy of trees. Still; well worth the patience necessary to grab an image or two. 14 - 16cm (5 - 6.5inches).
Eastern-Spinebill-Medium.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Eastern-Spinebill-On-Branch-Medium.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

One of my favourite birds! I hardly ever see them but my sister 3 km away in suburban Melbourne has them in her bird bath frequently! One day I will get a good shot…
yours is beautiful
iain

One of my favourite birds! I hardly ever see them but my sister 3 km away in suburban Melbourne has them in her bird bath frequently! One day I will get a good shot…
yours is beautiful
iain
Keep trying iain they are well worth the effort. I tend to watch them to see where their 'frequent' haunts are then concentrate on those areas especially around breeding time. Although I keep well away from their nests.

Best to look for where they feed, there usually is a stick/branch close by that provides a good perch you might target.
A bird bath tends to be a transitory place with no bird spending much time there.
I have found that grevilleas, heaths or other flowering native plants are a very good place to start.
Unlikely to see them on non-native plants in the garden here.

These birds are known as the Eastern Spinebill. They are a very common bird on the East Coast of Australia. While common they can be difficult to photograph as they are a relatively small bird , constantly on the move and often high in the canopy of trees. Still; well worth the patience necessary to grab an image or two. 14 - 16cm (5 - 6.5inches).View attachment 26275View attachment 26276
Gorgeous shot!!👍