If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Commodorefirst

Supporting Member
Marketplace
From the Eclipse a few summers ago, 2017, I was fortunate to live near totality here in Missouri and drove only an hour To a friends location. I am looking forward to over 4 more minutes of totality at my actual home in 2024!

Nikon D3s, 500 f4G VR with 2x TC, tripod. I used a high end sun filter For the sunspot shot,and removed it at the start of totality to get the corona, solar flare ejections, diamond rings, etc.

Full manual mode, varying shutter settings manually during the eclipse to get the different exposure rates. Was a rather intense 2’ 25”of activity.

8504336A-4096-46AB-B08A-832513E4FD7B.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

38DD134E-EA3D-4400-A850-80612FC3D7E0.jpeg

72DC4F21-F293-4A6C-886A-7682894802DE.jpeg
536CEC80-EAF3-46CC-A518-1DAFAB92B5B9.jpeg
942D63A6-C9CE-4320-B226-C9409B7D277C.jpeg

Last edited:
This is one of the most incredible eclipse shots I have ever seen. I've never seen the solar flares in anyone's photos before. You did a great job capturing these. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!!

Great images. We were lucky to see and shoot from totality here in Jackson Hole for the 2017 eclipse. Really cool experience and very different than what I had imagined. I didn't expect the abrupt drop in temperature at totality nor the very cool silvery light over the landscape for those few minutes.

Great images. We were lucky to see and shoot from totality here in Jackson Hole for the 2017 eclipse. Really cool experience and very different than what I had imagined. I didn't expect the abrupt drop in temperature at totality nor the very cool silvery light over the landscape for those few minutes.
Amazing!! Some of the best I've seen. It was a day to be remembered.
Wow is right!

thanks folks, I was extremely happy with the results, unfortunately I could not enjoy the actual experience as much as I would have liked with my head behind the camera, I hopefully will rectify that next time with double the time.

Amazing! Seeing all the photos of the eclipse is what finally pushed me over the edge and back to photography as a passion. I am in the Kansas City area and was just a hair south of totality... Working. But we were able to get out and see it.

Great shots! We traveled from Arizona to Corvallis Oregon in part to get out of the heat and visit friends.... but also to observe the eclipse, my first total solar. Actually setup in our friend’s backyard.
40D15E88-08A5-4E4D-A62F-5DD9D05926C3.jpeg
My photo attempts were marginal, using a Nikon super zoom on an old Slik tripod. I also got totally engrossed with the camera, but then stopped about halfway through totality and just took in the experience. Phenomenal! If you get the chance to see a total solar eclipse, do it! (April 2024 is the next one for the Continental US) One thing I wasn‘t expecting was how dark it got on totality. I needed to change settings on the camera and had to use the flashlight on my cellphone.

Great shots! We traveled from Arizona to Corvallis Oregon in part to get out of the heat and visit friends.... but also to observe the eclipse, my first total solar. Actually setup in our friend’s backyard. View attachment 2303My photo attempts were marginal, using a Nikon super zoom on an old Slik tripod. I also got totally engrossed with the camera, but then stopped about halfway through totality and just took in the experience. Phenomenal! If you get the chance to see a total solar eclipse, do it! (April 2024 is the next one for the Continental US) One thing I wasn‘t expecting was how dark it got on totality. I needed to change settings on the camera and had to use the flashlight on my cellphone.
Excellent, yes it was indeed dark, we measured temperature drops too of about 6 degrees, had thermometers outside in shade and sun. Was pretty cool.

Yes, I did not take enough time to enjoy the event, took over 300 images, with a lot of thumb rotate shutter Speed up and down a stop at a time, fire a burst of 2-3, rinse repeat. I only chimped in the middle to make sure I got flares and no Corona to try and get the diamond ring. I missed them at the start of totality removing my solar shade I used for the sunspot imaging.