Eclipse Practice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Bought a new Filter (NISI 16.6 stops) so I can try to capture a bit of the solar eclipse on 8 April. I will be about 80% where I live so I wanted to practice.
This shot with the parameters shown. It is a 16mp crop processed in LrC using a Camera Monochrome (Yellow Filter) Profile with minor other adjustments. Sky was a mix of clear blue with some clouds. I shot in the clear times.
I am surprised at the level of visible detail and the sunspots. Will do some reading, and am open to any suggestions on best settings.
If posted in the wrong forum - will move to the right place.
Practice.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Well, it's a landscape...of the sun...so I'd say it's good here! And a very cool image!

And very nicely done! I'm on the other side of the state from you, so probably get a little less coverage. I'd purchased the same filter in anticipation of this past October's annular eclipse as I was in Portland when that happened. Be interesting to see what you get!

Reactions: JAS
Joe, impressive filter - had to Google it. Only ever shot the sun at dusk and awn so this type of photography is unknown to me. I rememebr longs a go Venus moved past the sun. I used a binoculars to invert the image onto an A4 paper and shot the sun on the paper.

Reactions: JAS
Well, it's a landscape...of the sun...so I'd say it's good here! And a very cool image!

And very nicely done! I'm on the other side of the state from you, so probably get a little less coverage. I'd purchased the same filter in anticipation of this past October's annular eclipse as I was in Portland when that happened. Be interesting to see what you get!
Thank you for the positive comment. I will have to pay close attention to the weather forecast - particularly the cloud cover which could make or break the whole day. If the farecast is reliable, I can even drive a bit to get to better sky. We shall see.

Caught some great Sunspots there Joe! I'm using a Baader Film self-made filter. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!
SUN has been going off big time for a long while. The dark spots are flares spewing out hundreds of thousands miles.
Nice sample here, well done
Hopefully the clouds will cooperate. Not able to travel far if the clouds are too bad. Now saying partly cloudy. We shall see. Good luck to all.

Our weather forecast had cleared to "a few passing clouds" and temps above 60F/15C so it should be a good day for photographing the eclipse in my front yard! Approx 90% expected. I can work with that!

Back