If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I expected cloudy weather in Toronto on the day of the eclipse so I didn't purchase a filter for my lens.
I pulled over at a quiet spot at the time, and I managed to get a few images when it was almost fully eclipsed. The clouds formed a pretty effective solar filter, so this is about the best I have to show for it. Location is paramount at a time like this.

This could be mistaken for the moon on a cloudy night.

NZ8_3408.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I expected cloudy weather in Toronto on the day of the eclipse so I didn't purchase a filter for my lens.
I pulled over at a quiet spot at the time, and I managed to get a few images when it was almost fully eclipsed. The clouds formed a pretty effective solar filter, so this is about the best I have to show for it. Location is paramount at a time like this.

This could be mistaken for the moon on a cloudy night.

View attachment 86792
Good Job, Koos.

Oliver

Nicely captured! As effective as mine with a $150 USD 95mm solar filter. But, buying the filter did get me 30 seconds on the local TV news talking about the eclipse! My minute of notoriety.

Last edited:
Nicely captured! As effective as mine with a $150 USD 95mm solar filter. But, buying the filter did get me 30 seconds on hte local TV news talking about the eclipse! My minute of notoriety.
Thanks, Joe. I rolled the dice on that one. Members of my family suggested I buy a filter. I was extremely skeptical of the weather here, judging by how our winter had progressed. Feels like I can count the sunny days during the last three months on the fingers of one hand. Take El Nino, throw in global warming, experience the warmest winter in recorded history, then surround us by the Great lakes with excessive evaporation occurring under those conditions, and you end up with constant cloud and rain, and very little snow, and no open sky.

Reactions: JAS
Thanks, Joe. I rolled the dice on that one. Members of my family suggested I buy a filter. I was extremely skeptical of the weather here, judging by how our winter had progressed. Feels like I can count the sunny days during the last three months on the fingers of one hand. Take El Nino, throw in global warming, experience the warmest winter in recorded history, then surround us by the Great lakes with excessive evaporation occurring under those conditions, and you end up with constant cloud and rain, and very little snow, and no open sky.
I am in Milwaukee toward the south end of Lake Michigan and we were projecting cloudy and rain two days out but had clear blue skies for an 89% eclipse. I needed my solar filter.