If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just two images from today's eclipse --

4-8 Solar Eclipse - totality with solar flares.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

4-8 Solar Eclipse - totality with corona.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• 4-8 Solar Eclipse - totality with solar flares.JPG
    4-8 Solar Eclipse - totality with solar flares.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Thank you all.

Although I've never been particularly interested in astronomy or space and said I wasn't planning on photographing the eclipse, I did anyway. Our son and daughter-in-law live the zone of totality and asked us to come for a visit -- naturally we were happy to take them up on the invitation since we hadn't seen them since Christmas. A photographer whose prints they've purchased kindly donated a solar filter that fit my lens. I took over 600 photos but only saved about 25; it took some time to adjust the camera's settings -- the recommendations I'd hastily downloaded the night before were essentially useless. The solar filter was only necessary before and after totality, during totality the filter was off and you can see the metadata below the photos.

One correction, those were not solar flares as I'd labeled them, I've since learned they're called solar prominences, which I'm told are different. With the filter in place some sunspots could be seen and appear in some of my photos.

I'm putting together a short time-lapse of photos of the eclipse from start to finish that should be on my blog tomorrow -- https://forestandfield.blogspot.com/

This eclipse was fascinating and wonderful, I'm glad we had a chance to experience it and happy I got a "few" images.

Last edited:
Fantastic photos!! I was lucky to see it in person—totality only about 50 miles north of me. I just watched it (in total awe) this time around. Felt like I spent too much time fiddling with my camera when I tried to photograph the 2017 eclipse.