Editing a 120 clip for both slo mo and standard speeed

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have read it’s best to record what you want in all mo and standard speed in the prober speed from the get but what about when you only have a high speed clip and want to slow down just a portion? I’m able to get away with it in 60 as it’s not noticeable as much but when I took a video of a bald eagle grabbing a fish at 120fps I wanted to slow down the grab part purple normal speed up until then but after making the video the first section just seems way off I’m guessing due to being shot at the shutter speed for 120 and not 24. I’m using the few davinci and I tried not two ways the first was just add it to the 24fps timeline and let the clips drop for the standard section and slow down the slow mo part and the second was I changed the clip attributes to 24 so the whole video played in very nice smooth slow motion but then the first part of video I sped up by 500x. Thanks for any help.

I have read it’s best to record what you want in all mo and standard speed in the prober speed from the get but what about when you only have a high speed clip and want to slow down just a portion? I’m able to get away with it in 60 as it’s not noticeable as much but when I took a video of a bald eagle grabbing a fish at 120fps I wanted to slow down the grab part purple normal speed up until then but after making the video the first section just seems way off I’m guessing due to being shot at the shutter speed for 120 and not 24. I’m using the few davinci and I tried not two ways the first was just add it to the 24fps timeline and let the clips drop for the standard section and slow down the slow mo part and the second was I changed the clip attributes to 24 so the whole video played in very nice smooth slow motion but then the first part of video I sped up by 500x. Thanks for any help.

If you shot it at 120 and 1/250 (or so) you should be able to simply use Speed Ramping feature in DVR to get the effect. Google or use the link I put below. Another way is to cut the clip, then edit each separately then have a smooth fading transition between them. Whatever you do, don't forget to unlink the sound from the clip before you edit or you'll get some strange track.

In general, if you shoot 120fps and watch your shutter angle, you can slow it down 5x or 24fps viewing. Anything lower than 20fps is wonky. All four editors do a good job with interpolation, so it's no longer critical to have exactly a multiple of 24 or 25 or 30.

If you shot it at 120 and 1/250 (or so) you should be able to simply use Speed Ramping feature in DVR to get the effect. Google or use the link I put below. Another way is to cut the clip, then edit each separately then have a smooth fading transition between them. Whatever you do, don't forget to unlink the sound from the clip before you edit or you'll get some strange track.

In general, if you shoot 120fps and watch your shutter angle, you can slow it down 5x or 24fps viewing. Anything lower than 20fps is wonky. All four editors do a good job with interpolation, so it's no longer critical to have exactly a multiple of 24 or 25 or 30.
Thank you I’ll read up on that soon as I get a chance. I appreciate your time!

Thanks I have it a shot with the speed change option. I wouldn’t know how to stitch the videos together and make them lineup seamlessly. Both clips shot in 120 and I changed clip attributes to 24 then added them to timeline and used the speed ramping to make them 400x faster.

Just a short clip to test it out.

Back