Equipment Dilemma

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, I am planning a safari to SA and currently own a Nikon Z6 Mk2 with a Nikor Z mount 24-200 f4-6.3 lens. I also have a Nikon F mount 70-200 f2.8 lens leftover from my previous DSLR (plus a FTZ adaptor)

I have advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis and don't have a strong grip or lifting capacity.

I generally photograph landscapes, hence the mirrorless camera and compact z mount lens.

So, I'm trying to decide on a strategy for photographing wildlife without investing in equipment that I will never use again -or at least minimise the outlay.

So. I'm considering the following approaches.

A) Use the 24-200 in DX mode (or in FX mode, then crop in post).

B) Buy a tele converter to extend the reach of the 24-200 lens.

C) Utilse options A & B, but with the 70-200 f mount lens.

Failing the above producing a satisfactory solution, I would rent/buy a 'lightweight- super telephoto lens

I would appreciate some advice as to which way to go with this dilemma (including recommendations for an appropriate lens).

Thanks, Alex

Hello, I am planning a safari to SA and currently own a Nikon Z6 Mk2 with a Nikor Z mount 24-200 f4-6.3 lens. I also have a Nikon F mount 70-200 f2.8 lens leftover from my previous DSLR (plus a FTZ adaptor)

I have advanced Rheumatoid Arthritis and don't have a strong grip or lifting capacity.

I generally photograph landscapes, hence the mirrorless camera and compact z mount lens.

So, I'm trying to decide on a strategy for photographing wildlife without investing in equipment that I will never use again -or at least minimise the outlay.

So. I'm considering the following approaches.

A) Use the 24-200 in DX mode (or in FX mode, then crop in post).

B) Buy a tele converter to extend the reach of the 24-200 lens.

C) Utilse options A & B, but with the 70-200 f mount lens.

Failing the above producing a satisfactory solution, I would rent/buy a 'lightweight- super telephoto lens

I would appreciate some advice as to which way to go with this dilemma (including recommendations for an appropriate lens).

Thanks, Alex
Given what you’ve described, I’d recommend the following:

1) You’re probably going to want more reach than 200mm. Consider using a 1.4TC with your f-mount 70-200. That would get you close to 300mm at f/4. You’d have an FTZ and TC in addition to the lens so that might be uncomfortable for you.

2) Renting an f-mount 300 f/4 (755 g without FTZ). This might be easier to handle.

4) Renting a Z-mount 400 f/4.5 (1160 g). Superb optics. No adapter required.

There are other options, I’m sure. Whatever you choose, remember that shooting DX (for narrower FOV) on your 24 mp sensor will result in 10 mp images.

I was thinking the Nikon 28-400 (725g) instead of 24-200 or the Tamron 70-300 (580g) which is very light and compact. The Tamron is also $599.
I have the 28-400. It’s f/8 on the long end. As long as there’s an abundance of light, it’s fine. Low light shooting will be more difficult and unsatisfying. Also, even in good light, subject separation from the background will suffer unless the background is very far away. However given the physical limitations @Gloucesterkiwi mentioned, this lens may be one to consider.

Just back from my second Kruger trip this year (I do 3 safaris a year). I understand you like to bring just the 1 body? If so do I for sure not recommend a prime lens as you will loose a lot of shots. It also depends where you shall have the safari. Is it for instance in the Kruger National Park (KNP) or one of the private concessions around it? Your general game can be pretty close and even your predators like lions and leopards can be within a few feet but can also at a pretty long distance.
In your case do I probable recommend renting the 28-400mm, it is much more versatile.

Here a few examples on distances of the same kind of animal, the leopard:

Shot at 100mm

This one at 400mm (this is the mother from the above leopardess)

And this leopardess was not comfortable with vehicles and shot at 840mm

Back