EVF random switching - settings and Battery Life

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have my Z 6II EVF settings set to Prioritize Viewfinder. If the viewfinder stayed un-triggered when I wasn't using the camera, I believe my battery life would be OK for my use even if I left the camera switched on. I think a problem arises though because I tend to rest my hand on the camera when I'm walking with it on a regular camera strap. As soon as I rest my hand anywhere close to - or perhaps on top of - the viewfinder, the EVF switches on, and I find my batteries draining.
Is there a setting combination I haven't found that solves this? I know one alternative is to always switch the camera off when I'm not using it, but I would prefer to keep it on so the GPS I have attached will stay on and always provide the correct information when I quickly snap a picture.
I almost feel like I would like a button just to turn the EVF on and off ....

Other than keeping your hand away from the viewfinder sensor when walking, I can’t think of anything to help your situation. I would say that if battery life is a big concern I’d learn to live without in-camera GPS as leaving that turned on all the time doesn’t help battery life.

FWIW, I turn my mirrorless cameras off when walking around between shooting opportunities.

Is there a sleep timer? I think a lot of cameras can be set to sleep separately from being set to power off. This would require pressing a button to wake it up if it slept after 5 minutes or whatever.

Use of the GPS is my main reason for wanting to keep the camera switched on; I easily lose track of where photos are taken. The GPS I have is not the Nikon one, and I have used it now for many years, transferring it from my DSLRs to my mirrorless cameras as I have upgraded. It's acquisition is reasonably fast but not instant.
Yes there are timers - but I think any reawakening of the EVF will probably reset the timers, keeping the camera out of sleep mode.
I think I will just have to switch the camera off, maybe judging when I am going to not be taking photos for a while.

Back