Experience with Refurbished Equipment?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Folks - I am looking into some refurbished equipment from Nikon USA and wondered if anyone here has had any experience with them? Refurbished items come with a 90 Day warranty instead of the Full Year on New equipment. Would be curious to hear what the group thinking is on this. Thanks!

Over the years I have acquired three Nikon refurbished cameras and several F mount lenses from Nikon USA. Other than a camera and lens cleaning after a beach vacation I’ve not had a problem with any of this gear at all. And the need for camera and lens cleaning was my fault. Got a little too close to the shoreline during an oncoming storm!

I've never purchased a camera refurbed but I have purchased 4 different lens that way and have never had an issue with any of them. There are a few lens on sale under refurb right now that are fantastic deals.

Purchased a few items and have not had a problem. Agree with Northern - discounts are often not sufficient to compensate for shorter warranty period.

I’ve saved roughly $2500 buying three refurbed Z mount products when they went on sale at various times in the past. I have had zero issues. Without a doubt I will continue to take advantage of their sales. My Z9 looked new and has been flawless. My 14-24 f/2.8 looked new, has been flawless and its serial number was even more recent than any reported on the photosynthesis serial number tracking site. My 70-200 f/2.8 had some red sparkly flecks on the zoom ring rubber that I had to blow off with a rocket blower, but that’s it. The packaging is minimal, so be aware of that.

Back