Exporting Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm just curious where others export their JPEGS in LR.......................to the same location as where the RAW files are located or to a JPEG subfolder that you created just for that subject.

I don't use the purely by year route for my folder system in LR. So I end up have specific folders when it's either a trip or a category that often has jpg exports for example. These are used as well as collections.

So two examples. Trip to Portugal with another couple - 4 phones, 2 cameras. A folder for each and a folder for final exports. I also have some 25 sub collections under a master collection for that trip. By day, by certain GPS, for tile patterns etc.

Favorite pet pictures - yep separate folder for those.

I don't export anything unless I have a specific need to print or email or post online. Then it's just a generic saved pictures folders in the windows Default pictures folder.

I don't use LR, but your question is generally relevant.

Many of my images go through Photoshop, so not exporting a final version makes little sense.

After trying various methods, I keep my raws in a Subject>Capture folder and my edited version in a related Subject>Output folder. I find this more useful than keeping raws and exported jpegs in the same folder. But YMMV.

Boy, what a topic! I wish there were a simple way, like the old shoebox, to store these pictures.

Anyway, I use LRC and PS, but store nothing in the cloud. I have a folder, which is just named \EXPORTS, and create folders as necessary for whatever category I want to name. These folders are where the JPGs go. I have a Nikon (although it might be traded for a Fuji soon) so I use Nikon Image Transfer to import the RAWs into a different folder. I only export files that I have edited, and out of, say, 20 RAWs, I'll only edit 3 or 4.

But I wish there were an easier way to do this, and to remember the who, what,when, where and why when I want to find something. And an easier way to manage backups.

I use a folder structure for trips, events, etc. that is the same for original images and finished (exported) ones. So my drive looks like:

1. ORIGINAL IMAGES
    1. TRIP 1
      1. DESTINATION 1
      2. DESTINATION 2
    2. .....

1. FINISHED IMAGES
    1. TRIP 1
      1. DESTINATION 1
      2. DESTINATION 2
    2. .....

Typically I export 5-10% of the raw images.
The filenames are identical except for the .NEF and .JPG extensions. FINISHED IMAGES is accessible over the internet through a Synology NAS and a selection goes to my website (jan-peter-onstwedder.format.com in case you're curious). The advantages for me are:
  1. I can find the raw image for a finished exported image very quickly (folder and image name will match)
  2. I can backup the raw images (one-way to a NAS and from there to a backup), but use sync on the finished images (meaning that if I work on a laptop and export directly tot the NAS, the changes will propagate throughout the three locations; but original images can't accidentally be overwritten or erased)
  3. The finished images collection is quite small so internet access works even on 4G, and the entire collection fits on a small external drive if I want to carry it with me
But there are many other good solutions!

Jan-Peter

I have a sub-folder on my second drive in my PC, D:/Processed Images and the .jpg's I choose to keep reside there. My original RAW files and processed .TIF files reside on my NAS.
As mentioned previously, 'jpg's are easy to generate' so the need to keep everything processed is virtually non-existent.

I only shoot raw. I want control of my images so I do the processing. When I first started shooting digital, I put the jpgs in a separate folder. That was too confusing for me. I was constantly going back and forth between the folders. Did I create a jpg? Is the jpg in the folder current with the psd file?

Now I keep all file types of an image together. .nef is the raw file, .psd is processed, .jpg is ready to upload to my website, here or whatever I want to do with it.

I import RAW files to a temp folder using a program I wrote for Windows. It renames the imported files to “YYYY_MM_DD_Shoot Name-image Number.ext”. This has the date, shoot name I choose, and the image number assigned from camera with the file extension unchanged.

I then import the files in LR to a folder (usually named the country or event) to my external RAID drive.

After processing if I feel an image is worthy, I export jpg (sRGB) to folder named “Web/country or event”. I then sync the jpg folders to my iPad to show to friends and family (or anybody I can get to look).

If I print the image I convert it to AdobeRGB since my printer can handle the gamut.

I import RAW files to a temp folder using a program I wrote for Windows. It renames the imported files to “YYYY_MM_DD_Shoot Name-image Number.ext”. This has the date, shoot name I choose, and the image number assigned from camera with the file extension unchanged.

I then import the files in LR to a folder (usually named the country or event) to my external RAID drive.

After processing if I feel an image is worthy, I export jpg (sRGB) to folder named “Web/country or event”. I then sync the jpg folders to my iPad to show to friends and family (or anybody I can get to look).

If I print the image I convert it to AdobeRGB since my printer can handle the gamut.
I'm wondering why you don't combine steps 1 and 2 into one using LR? Can't LR can rename the files just like that on import? I use Bridge and rename files using a similar file name structure using Bridge.

I'm wondering why you don't combine steps 1 and 2 into one using LR? Can't LR can rename the files just like that on import? I use Bridge and rename files using a similar file name structure using Bridge.
I used to do it in LR but stop subscription for a while. The other reason is I do this while traveling on my laptop then import to RAID when I get home. My program also extracts meta data (location, altitude, etc.) for viewing. Also I do not think LR will use shutter count which I can insert in name.

Never import .jpg files. Too easy to us LR to export one when needed and doesn't clutter up the computer.

I have taken to having LR import using "Auto" so the .RAW files come into the program with what LR thinks is a better image, which it typically is. That has become my first step in opening a file anyway, so it saves a step. If I am making a .jpg, it save it with a special file name that lets me know what it is, and send it to a separate folder where I can easily drag and drop into another program, Facebook, etc.

And I keep a main folder labeled: "Unsorted - August 2023" and hopefully have then sorted by subject, gotten rid of useless images, etc., by Friday. If not, I just change the month in the folder heading and keep pretending I'll sort everything. This lets me know what I have reviewed so I limit clutter in the rest of my files.

Importing without using LR creates for me too many chances to forget to bring files into LR where they are divided by whatever category I select, or otherwise leaves orphans.

Last edited:
I too only shoot raw with the originals and edited versions stored in my archive files. All jpg exports go to a separate folder that is cleaned out if needed.

Back