Exposure Compensation Button Setting/s

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, after coming from Sony where the rear disc was useful for changing exposure (close to the thumb) finding it a bit slow/awkward having to hold the +/- button and turn the rear dial (maybe get used to it) so my thinking is to change that +/- button to the fn option on the 180-600 lens, good or bad idea? Thank You, Russ.

I've used Nikon's for so many years, I can very quickly move my shutter finger to press the +/- button, while also turning the rear dial with my thumb. Barely a second and never have to take my eyes from the viewfinder.

Luckily, if that doesn't work for you, you can try other options........ Good luck getting the camera set up to your liking.

Hi, after coming from Sony where the rear disc was useful for changing exposure (close to the thumb) finding it a bit slow/awkward having to hold the +/- button and turn the rear dial (maybe get used to it) so my thinking is to change that +/- button to the fn option on the 180-600 lens, good or bad idea? Thank You, Russ.
I'd recommend Nikon's Control-Hold function. Basically you can set up your custom controls in the menu so buttons like Exposure Compensation only need to be pressed once and not held down, that toggles the camera into adjust mode and then you make the exposure comp adjustment. A second button press of either the exposure comp button or something like a half press on the shutter release or hitting AF-ON will put the camera back into shooting mode. While the camera is toggled into adjust mode the EVF icons change color to amber to show you the camera is set to adjustment mode and when you return to shooting mode the EVF goes back to normal colors.

I find the toggle adjustment mode much quicker and easier for things like exposure compensation and several other adjustments that would normally require holding down a button and spinning a dial.

I don't get why a camera like that can't have 3 wheels, but it seems I would get used to holding one button while spinning the dial. It probably would be a 2 week problem then I'd forget why I had an issue.

Whatever works for you. I’m just getting use to adjusting the EC while looking into the viewfinder. After 4 years I am still not comfortable with looking into the viewfinder to make any changes,even shutterspeed.😂

I'd recommend Nikon's Control-Hold function. Basically you can set up your custom controls in the menu so buttons like Exposure Compensation only need to be pressed once and not held down, that toggles the camera into adjust mode and then you make the exposure comp adjustment. A second button press of either the exposure comp button or something like a half press on the shutter release or hitting AF-ON will put the camera back into shooting mode. While the camera is toggled into adjust mode the EVF icons change color to amber to show you the camera is set to adjustment mode and when you return to shooting mode the EVF goes back to normal colors.

I find the toggle adjustment mode much quicker and easier for things like exposure compensation and several other adjustments that would normally require holding down a button and spinning a dial.
Great suggestion Dave. I never thought to do that.

Will look into the Control-Hold function, new to the camera and system so all information is gratefully received. Russ.
The Control-Hold functionality that DRWyoming describes is f6 on the Z8--Release button to use dial.
If you’re shooting in Aperture or Shutter priority, there’s also b3 in the Custom controls—Easy exposure compensation—that when switched to On just requires spinning the rear dial to change exposure compensation, no button press required. I resort to the Exp Comp button though in Manual mode, since the rear dial is needed to change shutter speed.

The Control-Hold functionality that DRWyoming describes is f6 on the Z8--Release button to use dial.
If you’re shooting in Aperture or Shutter priority, there’s also b3 in the Custom controls—Easy exposure compensation—that when switched to On just requires spinning the rear dial to change exposure compensation, no button press required. I resort to the Exp Comp button though in Manual mode, since the rear dial is needed to change shutter speed.
Thank You but 99% of the time I shoot manual mode also on very rare occasions AP mode. Russ.

I've had the Z8 for almost 6 months now and use it 2-3 times a week, and everyday on trips. I still have not gotten used to pressing a button then using the dial to change the EC. On my R5, I configured the directional dial on the bottom back of the camera to handle EC and it was much easier. In my case, I've had serious hand surgery on my right hand, so things like holding/pressing a button and spinning the dial might seem simple/easy to some, but it is not for me. In general, I find the Z8 difficult to use with my hand problems, despite the amazing quality images that are produced by the Z8.

I was hoping that while in manual mode I could configure the front dial near the shutter button to control EC (without a button press at all), but I can't seem to make that work. If anyone knows how, or knows for sure that can't be done, please let me know.

Back