Express 1M2 external drive

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I picked up an OWC Express 1M2 external drive for use with my Mac M2 and M3 computers. I intend to use this drive as a portable drive for the MacBook Pro.

This is a Thunderbird/usb4 drive and powers off the usb cable. It is super fast with a claimed speed of over 3000 mbps.

The drive is housed in a substantial heat sink and is well protected.

I have tested it out with Lightroom and NX Studio and working on the M3 MacBook Pro it is quite fast. It took about 800gb of photographs, input them and built thumbnails quite quickly.

Would appreciate comments and suggestions for this type of drive,

I want to find a storage box of some kind of protective storage case for transport.

Why do you need a case? Concerned about a cable?
I have a couple of their older enclosures to which I added my own NVME. They do work well but those cap out at about 1500 - enclosure limitations. I have carried them with no harm to the cable. If you are concerned put them in a tech pouch of sorts. PD makes them or buy them on your trips - we picked up a couple of zippered pouches in Africa.

I think the OWC drives are fine and good. That said I am not the OWC fan that others are. I bought their dock for my NAS with the 10gb Ethernet connection and had lots of problems. The CFe slot runs super hot and the ethernet connection drops when I put a card in. I even sent it back and they said there is nothing wrong, after failing to meet the agreed return date by two weeks. So now I dont use the CFe slot which is one of the two main features along with the 10gb connection.

Last edited:
Back