External Storage Options

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CoyoteCreationsNW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My system has relatively small SSD and internal HDD. Over time, I have added 5 external HDD drives and use a manual back-up plan (sort of). The current external drives are about 60% full in aggegate. I plan to add a DAS box with 5 bays. My question is about data redundancy. I would like to set up something equivalent to a RAID 1 configuration. My existing drives are different sizes and models. A hardware RAID enclosure will cost more and different drives could make set-up a problem. If I use windows storage spaces I can pool my existing drives and then spread out the cost of newer, faster drives as needed. I have been told that storage spaces will put a high load on the processor and might slow everything down to unacceptable levels. The processor is an INTEL i9 13900 KF with 64 Gb of DRAM. I have not seen any thermal throttling even when processing large NEF files. Does anyone have relevant experience with using storage spaces to simulate a RAID 1 set-up and the effect on the processor throughput?

Back