Failed SanDisk Extreme SSD?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

No, but my 2TB ejects itself from my computer from time to time. The only solution I have found is to use a slower, old USB connection, which defeats the purpose of buying a fast SSD drive.

From Verge

We just lost 3TB of data on a SanDisk Extreme SSD

/

My colleague Vjeran is furious.

By Sean Hollister, a senior editor and founding member of The Verge who covers gadgets, games, and toys. He spent 15 years editing the likes of CNET, Gizmodo, and Engadget.
Aug 7, 2023, 1:43 PM PDT|152 Comments / 63 New

If you’re thinking of buying a SanDisk Extreme Pro, Extreme Portable, Extreme Pro Portable, or WD MyPassport SSD, maybe just don’t.
My colleague Vjeran just lost 3TB of video we’d shot for The Verge because the drive is no longer readable.

[unquote]
I have edited my post for better clarity.​

Last edited:
No, Karen. Lucky for me, it was only a 500gb SanDisk extreme drive a few years ago, I no longer use any SanDisk external drives.

Oliver
Thank goodness. I have a 4 TB that I use when traveling. But even when traveling, I always make two backups.

Most folks know to back up their data. Vjeran should have had at least one backup and certainly more if the data were important.

I have the 2 TB version and it works great! Most computers have power management set to turn off USB ports when idle or the PC goes to sleep. If you want the USB port to always be active then you can go into the Device Manager (Universal Serial Bus Controllers) and change the Power Management setting. I generally just plug and unplug the USB cord when I use an external drive. That will wake up the port. The Sandisk drives also have Security settings. None of your files or folders will be shown until the drive is unlocked. I suspect that some of the panic is due to that. These drives have no moving parts so issues are likely firmware related or maybe overheating? From what I have read mainly the 4 TB version on a MAC. Sandisk noted that they have or will have a firmware update.

I would always have files in 2 drive locations if you want to keep files safe. I just use one backup and that works fine.

No, but my 2TB ejects itself from my computer from time to time. The only solution I have found is to use a slower, old USB connection, which defeats the purpose of buying a fast SSD drive.
Mine did this as well, and the Extreme’s USB-C port seemed loose when the cable was in it. I bought an inexpensive USB-C to USB-C cable off Amazon to replace the original cable and it has not ejected on its own since.

Your Portable SSD May Require a Firmware Update​

English English (India) English (Europe) Deutsch Français Italiano Português 日本語 Español 한국어 Eλληνικά Русский Čeština 中文(简体) 繁體中文
We have identified a firmware issue that can cause SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD V2, SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD V2, and WD My Passport SSD products to unexpectedly disconnect from a computer.
To address and resolve this issue, we have developed a firmware updater tool that allows the needed firmware to be installed, enabling your continued use of the SSD on your Windows and/or macOS device.

Thanks.
I checked my SN and it said it wasn't impacted. I've had the Extreme Pro SSD for about 2 years with no problems. I store my Photos library there. However, I always make a backup of the disk after I upload any new photos plus I have that drive included on my Time Machine backups so I have 2 backups of the drive. Worst case, I may lose the most recent. One thing I do is not format my SD cards until I'm sure I have a backup of the drive to which I imported them. Then if the drive tanks before I can get a backup, I still have the images on the SD card. I do reformat my SD cards after I import them into my library and get the library backed up.

Jeff

Back