Faster FPS

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AstroEd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I currently use a Nikon D500, I tried 3 times yesterday with burst shutter to capture a Cave Sparrow feeding its young but kept missing the actual feeding I get incoming and flying away but not the feeding, If I want a faster FPS which camera do I neeed?

I currently use a Nikon D500, I tried 3 times yesterday with burst shutter to capture a Cave Sparrow feeding its young but kept missing the actual feeding I get incoming and flying away but not the feeding, If I want a faster FPS which camera do I neeed?
The Z8 (or potentially the Z6miii). The Z8 is 20fps. Assuming you want to stick with Nikon. Also can do pre-capture in JPG at 30 fps or even higher (but smaller size).
PS. Pre-capture records shots before you even press your shutter.

A9III....full RAW at 120FPS 😇

Also has pre-capture in RAW so you'd never miss as it compensates easily for human reaction time.

But in the Nikon you'd want Z8 or Z9 for 20FPS or higher if you want to shoot Jpeg just for this specific use case.

A9III....full RAW at 120FPS 😇

Also has pre-capture in RAW so you'd never miss as it compensates easily for human reaction time.

But in the Nikon you'd want Z8 or Z9 for 20FPS or higher if you want to shoot Jpeg just for this specific use case.
so did you buy the A9III? My friend (a Sony shooter) is still trying to decide whether to keep it. He is finding it hard to adjust to 25 MP after shooting the A1 (50 MP).

The Z8 (or potentially the Z6miii). The Z8 is 20fps. Assuming you want to stick with Nikon. Also can do pre-capture in JPG at 30 fps or even higher (but smaller size).
So no pre-capture in RAW with any worthwhile FPS?

so did you buy the A9III? My friend (a Sony shooter) is still trying to decide whether to keep it. He is finding it hard to adjust to 25 MP after shooting the A1 (50 MP).
No, 24MP was too much of a limitation to me. I didn't really expect it to be as I've shot many 18-24MP cameras leading up to the A1. But I just felt I was having to throw away some cool shots because of lack of MPs on the subject. If I needed a 2nd body I'd get one but I mostly just use a single camera so I'll save the $$ for the A1II. I did love the precapture and high FPS and all the other little improvements.

No raw pre capture, end of story.

Might change, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I doubt it will change if Sony couldn't do a 48MP camera with RAW pre-capture in their most recent A9iii. Just think one will have to wait for the next level of camera.
PS. So it will be very interesting to see what the Z6iii will do. Though it is also like the Sony A9iii likely to be 24 MP.

Last edited:
It will be cheaper to stick with Nikon as I can use my current lenses.

I doubt it will change if Sony couldn't do a 48MP camera with RAW pre-capture in their most recent A9iii. Just think one will have to wait for the next level of camera.
PS. So it will be very interesting to see what the Z6iii will do. Though it is also like the Sony A9iii likely to be 24 MP.
Nikon also uses faster cards, so there's a huge gap there Sony doesn't use.

Nikon also uses faster cards, so there's a huge gap there Sony doesn't use.
They may be using faster cards but they aren’t writing to them any faster than Sony writes to Type A. The camera processing isn’t fast enough to make use of the Type B speeds. And that is just 2.0 speeds. Forget about utilizing the 4.0 speeds of the latest cards.
The only benefit to the type B card in a Nikon over Type A is $/GB.

If I want a faster FPS which camera do I neeed?

Olympus/OMDS OM-1 MK. I OR II.

Image quality wise is on par with the D500, it can go 25 to 50 fps easily (the MK II has the buffer to make 50fps much more usable).

It also has RAW Pre-capture at 25 or 50fps for about 1 second and a blackout free EVF.

And for the price of a Z8 you can get an OM-1 and an Olympus 300mm f4 and that combo holds it's own in final output against anything short of a Z8 and one of the f2.8 or f4 exotic primes...

High speed video camera. Cheap ones start around $5k. Cronos 2.1 1000 fps, 11 secs recording on a 32 gb card.

Honest question: are you sure the limiting factor is the camera? First time I hear the D500 to be unsuitable for action or wildlife photography...
Not sure of anything, all I know pressing the shutter button when I see the adult coming until it leaves and out of 3 tries not one caught the actual feeding only the moments just before and just after the fly by feeding..

At 20 fps and a shutter speed of 1/1000 you cover all of 1/50 of a second with actual images. Statics tell us, that ever once in a while, all the interesting stuff happen in the periods outside that 1/50s.

Birds don't feed in light speed, I'd say waiting until they start feeding, and start shooting then, would give you better results. The D500 does 10 fps, plenty if you time your bursts properly. The alternative is shooting video.

IMHO, I'd try improving my technique until I outgrow my gear or find something that constantly annoys me in the field (all of that is highly subjective) before I upgrade gear.

At 20 fps and a shutter speed of 1/1000 you cover all of 1/50 of a second with actual images. Statics tell us, that ever once in a while, all the interesting stuff happen in the periods outside that 1/50s.

Birds don't feed in light speed, I'd say waiting until they start feeding, and start shooting then, would give you better results. The D500 does 10 fps, plenty if you time your bursts properly. The alternative is shooting video.

IMHO, I'd try improving my technique until I outgrow my gear or find something that constantly annoys me in the field (all of that is highly subjective) before I upgrade gear.
Yep, those pesky seconds are longer than you reckon. Just shows how amazing the eye is.

Sounds like he’s bursting appropriately to me. Outside of getting a faster camera, the only option is to attempt to capture the feeding more than 3 times.

I'd give it a 0.1% chance at this point. Z9II will have the feature for a measly $5500 buckaroos.

Chances are well above 0.1%. The Z9ii has to be a ways off still; there's no way they launch before the A1ii comes out. And it would make no sense to have pre-capture in the Z6iii and not the Z9. I realize Nikon needs to incentivize people to buy the Z6iii, but I'll have to hear from Nikon that they won't add pre-capture to the Z9 before I believe it. From a purely marketing standpoint, adding pre-capture via firmware would be a helluva shot at Sony (and Canon).

Back