Fatties playing ~ Hippos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Enjoying the cool water in a river pool on the S100 near Satara, Central Kruger NP - Hippos doing what hippos do!
D4; 600 F/4 + 1.4 TC' F/7.1; 1/800; ISO 1600 - 3200
D4 29316W.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D4 29349W.jpg

D4 29368W.jpg
D4 29333W.jpg

Stunning serie! I understand Callie why you use a 600 mm +1.4 TC!
Christobal, thanks. ~ I very rarely shot the 600 f/4 without the 1.4 TC. It was permanently part of my lens for all the time I used it. Bird photography, and especially BIF's is my passion, so with small birdies, nothing is long enough. With many years spent shooting wildlife in our parks, I came to understand that no lens can give you what you crave all the time. The name of the game was compromise, I seldom used F/4, my go to F/stop is F/7.1. So the reason I bought a 600 f/4 was to shoot it at 850 mm. I have since sold everything wrt to my 600 lens, including, wimberleys, plates, stands, tripod, car window brackets, etc. I am now a very happy 500 F/5.6 PF shooter that can travel light and unencumbered by killos of appurtenances. Speed and mobility and light weight, this is what works for me now as the 600 got way to heavy to handle. And the 500 PF allows me more keepers than the 600 since its is quicker to get into action.

Nicely done. Very near the top of my list for animals I want to photograph are hippos!
Steven ~ Kruger will let you see hippos. Botswana is a different destination, also excellent opportunities. So is Zambia, Zim, Kenya, Tanzania. Your pocket depth and your wish list animals determines where you will go. Also, the country and the light. Few places on earth beat Namibia for light, Botswana is about on par, I am not au afait with the rest of Africa. But if you can dream and do, go for it! ;)

Steven ~ Kruger will let you see hippos. Botswana is a different destination, also excellent opportunities. So is Zambia, Zim, Kenya, Tanzania. Your pocket depth and your wish list animals determines where you will go. Also, the country and the light. Few places on earth beat Namibia for light, Botswana is about on par, I am not au afait with the rest of Africa. But if you can dream and do, go for it! ;)
Once COVID pisses off (assuming it does) it's first Canada's (very) high arctic for polar bears and then Africa (thanks for the specific location suggestions; was hoping to go with Steve's group, actually!).

Christobal, thanks. ~ I very rarely shot the 600 f/4 without the 1.4 TC. It was permanently part of my lens for all the time I used it. Bird photography, and especially BIF's is my passion, so with small birdies, nothing is long enough. With many years spent shooting wildlife in our parks, I came to understand that no lens can give you what you crave all the time. The name of the game was compromise, I seldom used F/4, my go to F/stop is F/7.1. So the reason I bought a 600 f/4 was to shoot it at 850 mm. I have since sold everything wrt to my 600 lens, including, wimberleys, plates, stands, tripod, car window brackets, etc. I am now a very happy 500 F/5.6 PF shooter that can travel light and unencumbered by killos of appurtenances. Speed and mobility and light weight, this is what works for me now as the 600 got way to heavy to handle. And the 500 PF allows me more keepers than the 600 since its is quicker to get into action.
Thank you for your answer; I am using too a 500 PF for birds and I am very satisfied; I anticipate to see wildlife one day, in this part of Africa, you talked above; if you had the opportunity to make only one trip, each country offering it's own specificity for wildlife, what would be your suggestion?

if you had the opportunity to make only one trip, each country offering it's own specificity for wildlife, what would be your suggestion?
Very difficult to answer. I will choose Kasane area in Bots. Serengeti is awesome, though I have not been there. Botswana has elephants to spare, hippos, Buffalo and animals most people have not heard of like lechwe and puku. And birds for Africa! Desert, bush, delta, rivers, lodges. The guys Steve used is in Kasane. There are just so many places.
Etosha in Namibia is unique in the world.
Zim has Mana Pools, Zambia the Luangwa?
area. For other part of Africa, @marc knows much more than I ever will.
Understand what you want to see, and shoot, as I mentioned to Steven, above, then plan from there. Just one thing to remember, no place is ever the same, it always changes, as do the denizens.

Very difficult to answer. I will choose Kasane area in Bots. Serengeti is awesome, though I have not been there. Botswana has elephants to spare, hippos, Buffalo and animals most people have not heard of like lechwe and puku. And birds for Africa! Desert, bush, delta, rivers, lodges. The guys Steve used is in Kasane. There are just so many places.
Understand what you want to see, and shoot, as I mentioned to Steven, above, then plan from there. Just one thing to remember, no place is ever the same, it always changes, as do the denizens.
Thank's a lot for taking the time of giving me such precious informations; I will keep myself up to date of future photos safaris with Steve in Bostwana.

Point me to lions, Cheetahs, Elephants and wildebeest.. :)

Point me to lions, Cheetahs, Elephants and wildebeest.. :)
Godon
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park ~ Most handsome African Lions with the largest paws, Cheetah killings more than a possibility and plenty Blue wildebeest, no ellies, hippo, rhinos etc.
Botswana, all the above plus water and buffalo,
@marc spots - awesome sightings possible
D3S 50888W.jpg

Check out those paws

Back