If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Idyllic scene of fawn relaxing in the wildflowers...

Experimenting with the resolution of the 400mm f/4.5 w/TC-2.0x

Will post the link to the very high res post over on Flickr in a comment

Cheers!
Fawn in flowers.1e.1920.DavidEArmstrong_Z9_20230616_185606_790-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That TC 2.0 is impressive! Great shot. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks @ssheipel and @ians!

The TC 2x does give a hit in IQ/acuity, but it is "acceptable" when it hits (and I did def do some work on that image to get that result). I've found for 4k video it works extremely well though due to the lower resolution required. I posted a 4k image on flickr (not full res), and it did pretty well imo. I just got the TC 1.4x and will test that more, and prob use it a lot.

Cheers!

I’m very happy with my 1.4x - I haven’t invested in the 2.0x because of the reported hit to IQ. I’m interested to know what you discover when you compare the two…

Thanks, Jeff! Gotta ask - where are you standing in your profile pic? Looks like Bosque del Apache, but could be any number of places. Cheers!
Thanks. It was at an observation deck overlooking a local pond. The location is Fernald Preserve in Ross Ohio. Interesting place by the way. From the mid 1950's until the late 1970's the location was used to manufacture the ingredients for Armageddon. It was a Uranium enrichment plant for the nuclear weapons industry. Through much of the 1980's and 1990's it became the largest and most expensive "Super Fund" clean up site in American History. I'm not sure if it still holds that dubious distinction but it was huge. Over a 1100 acre area, about 10 feet of top soil was removed, stored in lead lined concrete containers and shipped somewhere out west for storage where some o fit will most likely remain hot for a century or more.

Today it is a wildlife and nature preserve with ample wetlands and fields of native grasses and wildflowers. amazing how something so evil and ugly can be turned into something beautiful teaming with wildlife. I lived in the area when it was a processing plant and every time I go there, in the back of my mind is what it used to be.

Sorry to go down the rabbit hole.

Jeff

Thank you, Dan aka @NorthernFocus!

It's been interesting which of my posts get reactions/comments here i.e. which ones "touch" people enough to prompt a reaction. Same on all the platforms I post on (ok, the few platforms haha) - interesting to see what connects with people. The exception is facebook where you are at the mercy of "the algorithm" and, for me - since I intentionally thwart fb's efforts to track my every move (even after leaving fb), and don't really use it much - very few even get to see my posts on their feed....so I discount that platform quite a bit.

Cheers!

Thanks. It was at an observation deck overlooking a local pond. The location is Fernald Preserve in Ross Ohio. Interesting place by the way. From the mid 1950's until the late 1970's the location was used to manufacture the ingredients for Armageddon. It was a Uranium enrichment plant for the nuclear weapons industry. Through much of the 1980's and 1990's it became the largest and most expensive "Super Fund" clean up site in American History. I'm not sure if it still holds that dubious distinction but it was huge. Over a 1100 acre area, about 10 feet of top soil was removed, stored in lead lined concrete containers and shipped somewhere out west for storage where some o fit will most likely remain hot for a century or more.

Today it is a wildlife and nature preserve with ample wetlands and fields of native grasses and wildflowers. amazing how something so evil and ugly can be turned into something beautiful teaming with wildlife. I lived in the area when it was a processing plant and every time I go there, in the back of my mind is what it used to be.

Sorry to go down the rabbit hole.

Jeff
Rabbit hole appreciated! In fact I saw a rather robust looking rabbit on my exercise/photo outing today - however too spritely for me to follow to its hole ;)

Fernald Preserve looks like an interesting place - in SW OH which I've never been to, but would like to at least drive through sometime. Thanks for the info about the site - we have some "interesting" sites nearby here in the Chicago area. Amazing and disheartening how non-forward looking we all can be as a species (although at the time it was all new wrt nuclear radiation materials etc. but...). Somewhat counter balanced by our ability to step up to 'fix' things...when we want to ;)

Cheers!