Fin Whales off Long Beach

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jadewolf

Fin Whales off Long Beach, California.

tbDSC_3314c_bcg.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

tbDSC_3578c_bcg.jpg

tbDSC_3128c_bcg.jpg

First time taking the Z9 whale watching. And it's been since before the pandemic since the last time I went whale watching at all, so it's possible I'm just out of practice. But this was probably the first time I've had the Z9's autofocus struggle significantly.

Afternoon sunlight on the water had it hunting for focus a lot. I definitely missed some better shots of surfacing whales while the focus got lost. Was primarily using Wide-Area Large, but would switch to 3D tracking or single-point and not see much improvement in the hunting either. Would have it prefocused where I expected the whale to surface, but as soon as the whale began to appear and I went to snap, the focus would jump. It would usually catch the whale once more of it was above the surface and then the focus was pretty true, but the hunting usually caused me to miss the blow as they exhaled.

To be fair, fin whales aren't very showy subjects and are only up for a few seconds to breathe before dipping back under. They don't usually show their flukes, even when diving, they aren't acrobatic like humpbacks, and they don't spend a lot of time at the surface like greys.

I'll probably go back out in a month or so when the greys come through, so we'll see if I can do better with the Z9 then.

It's always a joy to see these guys, though. Fin whales are the second largest whales on earth and are just incredible to see up close.

I like the first photo out of this set best, I think. Getting the anchored container ship in the background highlights the sort of things these animals have to deal with in their environment, with boat strikes being one of the leading man-made causes of death for whales today.

Nice images! I was at Bolsa Chica State Beach yesterday to look for shore birds during the King Tides. It was foggy/hazy and dark with lots of marine layer clouds so not good visibility. I saw something that, at first, I thought was a dolphin. But it was clearly too big. Now I know what it likely was.

Nice images! I was at Bolsa Chica State Beach yesterday to look for shore birds during the King Tides. It was foggy/hazy and dark with lots of marine layer clouds so not good visibility. I saw something that, at first, I thought was a dolphin. But it was clearly too big. Now I know what it likely was.
Thanks!

Yup, this time of year we get fins and sometimes humpbacks. Starting next month the grey whales will be passing through until around March or April. Then in summer there's sometimes blues, though I have yet to see one myself (I keep hoping, though!) Killer whales have been spotted occasionally, too. I would love to see one, but haven't had much luck yet.

How was it with the birds down at Bolsa Chica yesterday? I'm planning to go tomorrow morning, hoping that the traffic will be light for once (I'm up in SCV).

There weren't a lot of shore birds because of the high tide. But, the blue herons are starting to build nests in the palm trees and there were osprey and kingfishers zooming about. Both coastal and white pelicans, and we saw several full furred/non-mangy coyote as well. A week ago was there at low tide in the AM and lots of godwits and whimbrels etc.

I just dug into the to be deleted directory and cropped this one a lot. I wish there were something for scale, but hoping you can make a call based on silhouette alone. I don't think it is a dolphin, but I'm not from anywhere near the beach, just here for holidays.
fin2.jpg

Hmm! Hard to say for sure, but at my first glance, it does kinda look like a dolphin from the curve of the dorsal and the shortness of the peduncle. Could be a bottlenose, as they actually get pretty big out here compared to the very petite common dolphins. They get about 12-13 feet long and about 800+ lbs.

Looks too small to be a fin whale (fin whales can get up to 85' long) and our other whale species don't have prominent dorsals like that. Risso's dolphin is another possibility. I've seen them offshore here, but they have a thicker dorsal and are usually heavily scarred.

If it was close to shore (100-200 yards) and not a mile or more out, I'm guessing it's probably a large bottlenose dolphin.

Depending on how long it was the dorsal fin looks like it could be a Minke? Here is a Minke I saw in the San Juan Islands in late September. They surface very quickly and disapear and I don't think they have visible spout exhaust.

Minke_9994_1000p.jpg

Were you using subject detection? If so, I'd turn it off, maybe try a small dynamic AF mode. Whales have always challenged my Nikon AF systems, it just doesn't like to grab a glossy, dark object, much preferring the slightest specular highlight of the water. (My whale watching goes back to the D100 days, D200, D2x, D300, D4, D5 etc) If you haven't updated your firmware to 3.01, do so as the 3.0 version on the Z9 wouldn't af lock on much of anything, especially dark things with bright highlights. 3.01 is a definate improvement.

Were you using subject detection? If so, I'd turn it off, maybe try a small dynamic AF mode. Whales have always challenged my Nikon AF systems, it just doesn't like to grab a glossy, dark object, much preferring the slightest specular highlight of the water. (My whale watching goes back to the D100 days, D200, D2x, D300, D4, D5 etc) If you haven't updated your firmware to 3.01, do so as the 3.0 version on the Z9 wouldn't af lock on much of anything, especially dark things with bright highlights. 3.01 is a definate improvement.
Yup, I'm up to date on firmware and definitely saw improvement on birds with it, but yeah. Glossy dark subject in a glossy, highly reflective ocean? Definitely causing AF confusion.

I'll have to try turning off the subject detection next time and going with a smaller focus area. When I did whales before, on my D500 and D200, I did usually use a smaller focus area, too. Probably a good plan to reduce the area size for mirrorless, too. Thank you for the suggestions!

Yup, I'm up to date on firmware and definitely saw improvement on birds with it, but yeah. Glossy dark subject in a glossy, highly reflective ocean? Definitely causing AF confusion.

I'll have to try turning off the subject detection next time and going with a smaller focus area. When I did whales before, on my D500 and D200, I did usually use a smaller focus area, too. Probably a good plan to reduce the area size for mirrorless, too. Thank you for the suggestions!
I'd turn off the subject detection for sure. A couple of days ago I was out shooting with SD on (animal) and decided to do a few landscape shots (Z9 & Z800 for landscape? Why not?) The af didn't want to lock on my intended focus point with SD on, but when I turned it off, it grabbed on very fast. I go back to something Thom Hogan said about AF many years ago. Sometimes the fastest af is when you turn all the custom assist stuff off. Made sense as all the AI stuff uses computing resources that would otherwise go towards finding and locking af.

I'd turn off the subject detection for sure. A couple of days ago I was out shooting with SD on (animal) and decided to do a few landscape shots (Z9 & Z800 for landscape? Why not?) The af didn't want to lock on my intended focus point with SD on, but when I turned it off, it grabbed on very fast. I go back to something Thom Hogan said about AF many years ago. Sometimes the fastest af is when you turn all the custom assist stuff off. Made sense as all the AI stuff uses computing resources that would otherwise go towards finding and locking af.
Yup, that makes sense. In retrospect, I think it actually seemed easier with the simpler DSLR for whale watching. Time to take it back to basics for the next round!

And hey, landscape with a long lens works too! I had my 500PF mounted on the whale boat and ended up using it for some sunsets.

tbDSC_3686c_bcg.jpg

I swapped it to single point focus here, because yup... SD and wide-area AF didn't know what to do with that big sun disk, ha!

(Was hoping to catch the green flash, but conditions weren't right for it to appear that day. Too much smog, I figure.)

Cool photos despite the AF challenges! Was this from the shore or were you on a boat? I’m also in SCV, but would be worth the drive for a chance to see these guys.
Well hello, neighbor!

I went with Harbor Breeze Cruises. I've been going whale watching with them for years, definitely recommend. They're out of Long Beach, the dock right by the Aquarium. If you go during the week and book online ahead of time, it's only $35/person right now. Not a bad deal!

Activity will pick up even more starting around next month, when the Grays start coming through on their migration. Definitely worth going!

Well hello, neighbor!

I went with Harbor Breeze Cruises. I've been going whale watching with them for years, definitely recommend. They're out of Long Beach, the dock right by the Aquarium. If you go during the week and book online ahead of time, it's only $35/person right now. Not a bad deal!

Activity will pick up even more starting around next month, when the Grays start coming through on their migration. Definitely worth going!
Great information. Thank you!

Back