Finally a "zoom" teleconverter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bleirer

Bill, Cleveland OH.
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Canon is supposedly about to announce a teleleconverter that can be switched from 1x to 1.4x to 2x. Would this be even better than a built in tc, since you could remove it to save space and weight, or just leave it on?

In the past they have paired TC's only with certain lenses because part of the TC goes into a void on the lens body, so "tuned" to a narrower range of lenses. Have to see which lenses are compatible.

Assuming the 1x doesn't degrade image quality when compared with not having the TC on, this will be super cool.
Yeah, I don't think the 1x could be air, would have to be an element of some kind? Not really sure how the optics works.

Because the 1x will have to have elements (otherwise it would act like an extension tube) I think this will be reserved for lenses designed from the ground up to be compatible. My guess is that will be the 100-300/2.8 and 200-500/4 (CR3) at first. Future lenses may be designed to work.

My guess is price would be around $2K for such a device.

It's an intriguing idea, but given the choice between having an integrated TC like Nikon is doing on some of their superteles, or an external switchable TC that's not "factory matched" to the lens, I'll take Nikon's approach. Besides that, many shooters may consider using the 1.4x at times but refuse to use a 2x.

It's an intriguing idea, but given the choice between having an integrated TC like Nikon is doing on some of their superteles, or an external switchable TC that's not "factory matched" to the lens, I'll take Nikon's approach. Besides that, many shooters may consider using the 1.4x at times but refuse to use a 2x.
I think I'd agree with you. I still can't wrap my head around how this is going to work. If the elements don't flip out of the way and instead are moved closer and further you are always passing light through all these extra elements even when trying to shoot the bare lens (unless you take the thing off and that sort of defeats the purpose). I'm also not a fan of 2xTCs anymore on any system and I can't see this method being any better (probably worse).

If given a choice I'd prefer a 1.4TC built in like the EF200-400, F180-400, Z400, Z600.

FWIW here is the patent from awhile ago:
Capture1.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Capture.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Agree. But just think, a built-in TC that could be either 1.4 or 2.0. That would be sweet, especially if the 2.0 is well matched

Personally I'd be more tempted by a 1.4 to 2.0 TC (w/no 1x position). When you need a tele use it, otherwise take it off. But I can see where this could be useful to a lot of folks.

Interesting idea, but will almost certainly be much larger, heavier and more expensive than I'd want. Built-in teleconverters as in the Olympus and Nikon telephotos are much more convenient, eliminate the issue of dust entering the camera or lens, there's no more piece of gear to carry or loose and are less expensive.

With the 1x built in, it could be always attached. Or removed. Best of both worlds.

I think the concept is great. In fact it seems like one of those items that should have been here sooner. But I may be in the minority because I proposed the idea in a thread last year on a rumored Sony TC and no one went for it then. Haha

However, canonrumors has a history of claiming such and such a product is going to be released around so and so time and those items never showed up and still haven’t years later. So we’ll see.

"Clearly" an attempt to respond to the success of Nikon's Z 400/2.8TC and Z 600/4.0TC -- but I genuinely think this is a terrible idea that will fleece the unsuspecting for what will be a dreadful and expensive product.

If it is not very expensive then few of the optical and performance issues will be addressed.

Anything that adds length would have to have an optical correction to allow the lens to be used at 1x - this will simply reduce optical quality AND transmission (reduces light).

AND is Canon genuinely expecting anyone who can afford Canon's horrendously expensive super-teles will bolt on a """"crudy"""" solution -- NON NON NON.

Canon have had lenses with built in TC's the most famous was the 200-400 -- why are they not updating these lenses in their line up ???

Again -- my guess is they are hearing from customers VERY upset that they cannot have what we Nikon shooters have (for once).

But obviously all is just speculation for now.

Last edited:
"Clearly" an attempt to respond to the success of Nikon's Z 400/2.8TC and Z 600/4.0TC -- but I genuinely think this is a terrible idea that will fleece the unsuspecting for what will be a dreadful and expensive product.

If it is not very expensive then few of the optical and performance issues will be addressed.

Anything that adds length would have to have an optical correction to allow the lens to be used at 1x - this will simply reduce optical quality AND transmission (reduces light).

AND is Canon genuinely expecting anyone who can afford Canon's horrendously expensive super-teles will bolt on a """"crudy"""" solution -- NON NON NON.

Canon have had lenses with built in TC's the most famous was the 200-400 -- why are they not updating these lenses in their line up ???

Again -- my guess is they are hearing from customers VERY upset that they cannot have what we Nikon shooters have (for once).

But obviously all is just speculation for now.

I guess I'm not assuming the quality will be bad, since their extenders have be quite good so far. A zoom lens might have more than 20 elements already, so one more might not have that much impact.

Back