Fine-tuning focus…..such fun!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I paired up my D850 with an older 28mm f/1.4D AF lens to test its’ sharpness wide open. I shot a few images that had writing or numbers and found them illegible when loaded in a computer. I consulted a guide book on fine-tuning AF lenses and found the procedure pretty easy. An object, such as an angle bracket, is placed on lined or graph paper. With camera firmly on a tripod I used the 850’s AF to get the bracket in focus. When I put the image in the computer it was obvious the focus point was 5 lines behind the face of the bracket (middle photo). This meant this lens was “back focusing” on the D850…🧐hmmmmmmm

In the 850’s menu under “setup” there is a fine-tune function for lenses. You can add or subtract values to make focus adjustments for your camera & lens combo. I just guessed at -5 since it was 5 lines back focused. I re-shot the bracket on the paper and looked at the image in the computer. It worked! Lucky guess.. Bottom photo shows results of adjustment.

IMG_0360.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D8J_2592.jpeg

D8J_2595.jpeg

Back