Firmware Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

armchicago

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm pretty tech challenged, so my question is: given a camera like the Nikon Z6, can firmware upgrades ultimately get that autofocus system to be as feature-rich and perform as well as the Sony a9 for fast action, or is there a hardware component that would need to change as well? Same question for EVF blackout/lag in high speed shooting... can that be corrected solely by firmware? I realize Nikon would have to want to get it to that level but is possible solely via firmware? I know the 3.0 update is an improvement but can it get all the way to Sony a9 level via firmware alone? Thanks in advance!

Nope :)

Part of the issue is hardware related. In fact, I've long suspected (and said as much in my AF book) that the current Z cameras are a bit underpowered. It's interesting that the rumored Z6/7 "s" are supposed to have two processors - I think that's one of the biggest challenges with the current ones. Plus, there's no way to address buffer space and things like that with firmware either (at 20FPS, the buffer in the Z6 would dry up pretty quick).

I think the best bet is to hold off (if you can) for the Z6s. I have a feeling it's going to be a really nice upgrade. I'm pretty excited about it myself. I love my Sony gear too, but I still prefer Nikon.

Back