First[and probably, last] mirrorless camera.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wapiti

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just purchased a Nikon Z6lll, which will be used exclusively for wildlife photography. After years with film and digital cameras, I decided to bite the bullet and try mirrorless. My question is this. Do you guys actually read the Operator Manual in detail before attempting to photograph? I'm relying, at present, on instructions from Steve in each of his publications including the Wildlife Setup Guide. I'm sure that there will be times when I need to REFER to the Operators Manual without reading, in detail, the 76 pages available on the internet:mad:. My reluctance to hop on the mirrorless train is the teaching this old dog, and I mean OLD, all of this new stuff.

... Do you guys actually read the Operator Manual in detail before attempting to photograph? ...
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I just get the camera out of the box, make sure it's got a memory card loaded and install a charged battery and "off to the races I go."

However, by the time I purchase a camera, I've already looked into its operation online. I also purchase Steve's camera guides for my specific cameras, as well as watch his videos on essential settings for a camera type and a specific model I'm going to use.

I may use it later as a reference, but, read the official owner's manual from front to back...? Never!

Hmmm, not sure how to interpret your post. As you wrote, it is all new stuff but the basic doesn't change. There were times I read into the manual but with having shot a lot of different Nikon DSLR's was the change to MILC a soft one. It brought us in the Z8 and Z9 lots of new goodies but all this add-ons to existing technology.
In fairness, you sound frustrated because you need to unlearn some things and learn new ones? Is that not normal with new gear? I guess you did your homework before you purchased this camera and knew what to expect?

I read the operations manual of each camera that I buy, even before I get it. I'm always hoping that when I have an issue something in my brain will click based on the reading of the manual. I then refer to it as needed, or to the folks on this website, when I forget something, which does happen. I first purchased a Z7 when it came out, then later a Z9, which I sold, and now I own two Z8's. I love the Z8, great camera. It's good for an old brain to learn new things and it always assures me that at least I most likely do not have Alzheimer's!

The last time I read the manual (essentially) front to back was with my Nikon D50 if that tells you anything. The manual is intended to be a reference guide more than an instructional guide so I only use it when I need to know a specific feature or something. What the manuals lack, and other sources have varying degrees of, is situational guidance. That is, explaining how you should approach a particular feature or situation and modifying the settings accordingly.

I do go to Nikonusa download and review all of the pdf manuals available for any camera or lens I buy. I do download the ones I feel I need now or might need in the future. At a minimum I download the User manual and the reference guide and any special guides for any special shooting situations or features like Sports, AF etc. I may put them on my phone too. I do review sections of them before using the camera.

I just purchased a Nikon Z6lll, which will be used exclusively for wildlife photography. After years with film and digital cameras, I decided to bite the bullet and try mirrorless. My question is this. Do you guys actually read the Operator Manual in detail before attempting to photograph? I'm relying, at present, on instructions from Steve in each of his publications including the Wildlife Setup Guide. I'm sure that there will be times when I need to REFER to the Operators Manual without reading, in detail, the 76 pages available on the internet:mad:. My reluctance to hop on the mirrorless train is the teaching this old dog, and I mean OLD, all of this new stuff.
I think you can get by just fine with looking at the beginning section of the User's Manual or Reference Guide to get familiar with the basic operation and layout but otherwise Steve's books will get you up to speed quite well for your wildlife photography. And of course some practice goes a long way. Steve's books are well targeted to wildlife and quicker and more enjoyable to read than manuals with a good dose of humor to keep your eyes from falling shut. The Nikon manual can however be used as an excellent sleep aid when needed. Having a downloaded searchable manual can be helpful for specific topics and this forum is excellent for getting help with specific questions or problems you encounter. It's certainly helped me along the way - and I'm still a 'future' wildlife photographer so the books and this forum are broadly helpful.

I tend to use the manual to check out any new features a new camera will have. Been shooting digital Nikon for over 20 years now so the basics don't change much.

Having said that, when I got my Z6ii - first mirrorless Nikon - it came with no manual and although I downloaded the pdf to my tablet, something was not right as I could not use the tap on the page number to navigate. So I was scrolling the page numbers only to find that most pages had 2 numbers! The first couple of weeks were not happy ones and were it not for Steve's Z AF book, bought before I got the camera, I might have been sectioned........

When I bought my Z9, I actually did not use it for the first 2 weeks. I spent that time reading 3 ebooks from Steve… the Nikon AF system for mirrorless, the Nikon exposure system for mirrorless, and the Nikon Z9 setup guide. That was to allow me to understand the new systems. I then set the Z9 up fairly close to my D850. I then went out and practiced. After I became comfortable with the camera, I started adjusting some settings to take more advantage of the abilities of the Z9.

Steve’s books have been my go to if I have questions on use, and Thom Hogan’s Z9 manual has been my reference if I have a more detailed technical issue. I can probably count the number of times I’ve referred to the Nikon manual on both hands in 2 years. YMMV.

For these cameras you do need to do some studying. the camera manual is not the best way to do that.

I bought two guide books. You can get those to download and can carry them on a computer or tablet.

The best guide is the Steve Perry guide. He is compact and to the point and his materials are easily followed. His advice is aimed at wildlife photography and he knows his craft.

The other book I got was the Thom Hogan guide. His guides are extremely long and detailed. Hard to get through and best used as a reference manual when you need to understand a specific subject.

You will need to configure a few menu settings to the way you want to operate. You can work through Steve Perry's setup guide, make some decisions and get things configured the way you want without too much work. He explains the things that matters and tells you what you can leave as is.

The main thing is you need to develop a style of operating that works for you. That way you get familiar with how you operate it and you can quickly find the controls and settings you want to use without having to do a lot of thinking.

Back