First Kayak Outing of the Year

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RockvilleBob

Supporting Member
Marketplace
It was a long time coming due to cool, wet Spring weather but the first kayak outing of the season arrived for an outing on Miller Creek
Setting out before dawn to catch a Kingfisher at their favorite perch
While shooting the Kingfisher a very close nearby racket alerted to a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers in the brush, too dark to photograph until one got on top of a branch
After the pair of noisy Pileated Woodpeckers I spoted what I think is a pair of Redheaded Wookpeckers busy at work
Next was an Osprey showing why being a fish is rsky business on Miller Creek
On the way back there were the usual ducks
The kayak outing concluded with Canadian Geese chicks on an outing
A good day on Miller Creek
kingfisher.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

pileated.jpg

red-headed-peckers.jpg

osprey.jpg

ducks.jpg

geese-2.jpg

geese-1.jpg

Very nice! Love the two redheads on the limb shot, especially. Assuming (re the aperture) that was that the pf 600 you had in the boat?

Thank you Steven. I mostly the Nikon 180-600 for this outing since you cannot zoom with your feet.
HA, yes, it's zoom with a paddle instead :) I've got canoes but have yet to (seriously) photograph from them; was asking really re the weight for handholding as I'll ultimately be using my 600 tc; zoom would be great (certainly for the big stuff e.g. moose, but mine is the anchor weight 180-400 tc :) Am thinking the z 70-200 with a tc for boat work. Cheers!

HA, yes, it's zoom with a paddle instead :) I've got canoes but have yet to (seriously) photograph from them; was asking really re the weight for handholding as I'll ultimately be using my 600 tc; zoom would be great (certainly for the big stuff e.g. moose, but mine is the anchor weight 180-400 tc :) Am thinking the z 70-200 with a tc for boat work. Cheers!
Handholding has not been a problem. Next week I am hedsed out for a couple of eagle nests to hopefully get the chicks and eagles in the nests. I will be using the Nikon 800mm (probably with 14TC). I've handheld it in the past in a kayak but I will also bring a monopod.

Handholding has not been a problem. Next week I am hedsed out for a couple of eagle nests to hopefully get the chicks and eagles in the nests. I will be using the Nikon 800mm (probably with 14TC). I've handheld it in the past in a kayak but I will also bring a monopod.
Looking forward to the shots you get. Sadly my boat is few hours away from me; hope to get it in the water this or next weekend during migration!

It was a long time coming due to cool, wet Spring weather but the first kayak outing of the season arrived for an outing on Miller Creek
Setting out before dawn to catch a Kingfisher at their favorite perch
While shooting the Kingfisher a very close nearby racket alerted to a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers in the brush, too dark to photograph until one got on top of a branch
After the pair of noisy Pileated Woodpeckers I spoted what I think is a pair of Redheaded Wookpeckers busy at work
Next was an Osprey showing why being a fish is rsky business on Miller Creek
On the way back there were the usual ducks
The kayak outing concluded with Canadian Geese chicks on an outing
A good day on Miller Creek
View attachment 88016

View attachment 88017

View attachment 88018

View attachment 88019

View attachment 88020

View attachment 88021

View attachment 88022
Bob, beautiful series! Awesome variety of species. I have yet to even see either woodpecker in the wild.

Back