If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

purplewildflowers.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
I am trying to figure out the learning curve with my new z105mm macro lens. Is focusing on just one flower is a better idea with macro?

Last edited:
View attachment 56278I am trying to figure out the learning curve with my new z105mm macro lens. Is focusing on just one flower is a better idea with macro?
Nice shot! With macro your depth of field is going to be extremely shallow, even at small apertures, so focusing on the part of the image you want sharp is crucial when you're not planning to use focus stacking. I think how you choose to shoot your subject is very subjective and there's no right or wrong way unless you're working for someone that wants things done a certain way or you're trying to document something exactly as it is.

Beautiful start! Yes, it is difficult to near impossible to get a whole subject in focus at the macro level. You could look into Focus Shift shooting to get a series of shots, then stack them in software (like Helicon Focus) to get the whole subject in focus. It can be tricky if shooting with any breeze, but can be worth it!

Thank you for the focus stacking information. I will have to try that with these flowers next. I could not believe how many photographs I took before realizing the macro flower videos I had watched were depicting larger flowers. Learning curve for sure--these were 1/2-3/4" across. My beginner mistake.

Reactions: JAS
Thank you for the focus stacking information. I will have to try that with these flowers next. I could not believe how many photographs I took before realizing the macro flower videos I had watched were depicting larger flowers. Learning curve for sure--these were 1/2-3/4" across. My beginner mistake.
You will learn quickly. When I look at my earliest macro work, I wonder what I was thninking and I look at the shallow DoF. That is why I went for the stacking approach. Steve has a good class on this subject that you can purchase at reasonable cost. It is a good investment.

Last edited:
This image is very well done. Having the center of both of the flower in the same plane to the sensor would facilitate both being in focus. However, I like this image with the center of the flower on the right being in focus and the one on the left being OOF. Nicely done.

You will learn quickly. When I look at my earliest macro work, I wonder what I was thninking and I look at the shallow DoF. that is why I went for the stacking approach. Steve has a good class on htis subject that you can purchase at reasonable cost. It is a good inveastment.

I would also like to add that you are likely going to want to start using a flash as soon as possible as well, light availability will be more and more of a problem as you start shooting at higher magnifications and smaller apertures.

You will learn quickly. When I look at my earliest macro work, I wonder what I was thninking and I look at the shallow DoF. That is why I went for the stacking approach. Steve has a good class on this subject that you can purchase at reasonable cost. It is a good investment.
Which of Steve's classes/books are you referring to?

--Ken

Luke-
I am currently working through Steve's Focus Stacking tutorial. As usual, Steve does an excellent job outlining the various considerations one needs to take into consideration and, as usual, Steve is targeted towards Nikon shooters.

My OM Systems 90mm f/3.5 is showing up Friday and I will be commencing my re-entry into macro photography.

I really like your first attempt. It is beautiful and doesn't need to be tack sharp throughout. In fact, the softness of the image adds to its appeal. I like the composition of the image and I think the second flower enhances the image.

Regards,
Tom