First of a set of snake photos from "Snake Road" in Illinois last weekend. (1 of 4)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
These 2 photos show just how effectively their camouflage blends in. This is a Cottonmouth (water moccasin). It is a venomous snake. They have a reputation for being aggressive but honestly, they are like any other wild creature, they would rather be left alone and not molested. If provoked they will strike. The question becomes, what does a snake see as provocation? None of the dozens of cottonmouths we saw over the weekend had any interest in humans, they just wanted to move from the swamp to the limestone cliffs where they will spend the winter.

First photo is not retouched. Just how it looked from the camera. The second one circles the snake and is cropped in. When they are sitting still in the leaf litter like this, they are nearly invisible unless they move (which, thankfully this one was moving).

Do you see the venomous snake in this photo? He (or she) is in there.
_T3A0516 (1).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I circled it for you. Their ability to blend in with their surroundings is simply amazing.
_T3A0516.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
The only way I found it in the first photo was by looking for what was in focus. (And without my glasses, face close to the computer screen.)
They are hard to spot for sure. Even standing there, unless they move, they are hard to see.
I was watching 2 rather large ones going through the leaves up toward the bluffs. I think there may have been a 3rd one too as there was some movement in the leaves. Some guy wearing gym shoes and jeans decided he wanted a closer look, said he saw the 2 and wouldn't get close so he started walking through the leaves toward a couple 3-4 foot long cottonmouths. Luckily for him and the snakes, he somehow managed to avoid stepping on one. If he had, it would have been a really bad day.

Back