If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtT

Marketplace
I found quite a focus/ shooting learning curve ( or I am just mentally slower with age) coming from my D850 and of course I left for Humboldt Redwoods 2 days after getting the Z8 only partially set up and had not done any real shooting yet except dog in living room. I was even so bold as to leave my D850 homeo_O. Went OK and here are a few of my captures from camp at Sue-Meg CA State Park and
Humboldt National Wildlife Area. Unfortunately, not alot of flying birds that day.
NZ8_0161-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NZ8_0279-Edit.jpg

NZ8_0246-Edit.jpg

NZ8_0273-Edit.jpg

NZ8_0288-Edit.jpg

And my favorite as it preserves my shooting style from the D850!!!!!!!:D
NZ8_0251-Edit.jpg

NZ8_0103-Edit.jpg

I found quite a focus/ shooting learning curve ( or I am just mentally slower with age) coming from my D850 and of course I left for Humboldt Redwoods 2 days after getting the Z8 only partially set up and had not done any real shooting yet except dog in living room. I was even so bold as to leave my D850 homeo_O. Went OK and here are a few of my captures from camp at Sue-Meg CA State Park and
Humboldt National Wildlife Area. Unfortunately, not alot of flying birds that day.
View attachment 62869
View attachment 62887

View attachment 62870
View attachment 62872
View attachment 62873
And my favorite as it preserves my shooting style from the D850!!!!!!!:D
View attachment 62874
View attachment 62888
Beautiful set Kirk. Looks like your doing fine with the Z8.👍👍👍👍

Lovely series,what bird is that in image one?
Steller's Jay. They have gorgeous deep blue and black heads. Yellow jacket in beak! They are most common around picnic tables:ROFLMAO: Not quite as beautiful as all of your birds down under.

Last edited:
Nice shots; congrats on the new cam. And thanks for the chuckle -- re the gull photo :)
Thanks Steven. I don't know what my photo style is exactly but I sure nail alot of birds behind objects but this one just looked like he head planted the pier pylon.. That is actually the same Night Heron from the seaweed shot as he took off.

Beautiful set Kirk. Looks like your doing fine with the Z8.👍👍👍👍
Thanks Ralph. Haven't been taking alot of pics this winter, first vacation of year. I am still setting this thing up. No z lenses yet, may sell the D850 first, hard to take the depreciation on a 2 yr old camera, trade in only $950 on excellent, not really worth it at that point.

Thanks Ralph. Haven't been taking alot of pics this winter, first vacation of year. I am still setting this thing up. No z lenses yet, may sell the D850 first, hard to take the depreciation on a 2 yr old camera, trade in only $950 on excellent, not really worth it at that point.
It appears to be the mirrorless FF I’ve been waiting for . I’m trying to hold off on buying the z8 only to see how things shake out with those like yourself who have already purchased one. I’d keep the D 850 as a backup. That’s what I will do with my D500.

great photos Kurt - and I agree - coming from an SLR needs a bit of time and mind management.
Thanks Elsa. The tracking is definitely a challenge so far, get stuck on images, learning distance is less my friend than before with lock on of target. I'll get it sooner or later. So far happy mirrorless, getting used to viewfinder.

It appears to be the mirrorless FF I’ve been waiting for . I’m trying to hold off on buying the z8 only to see how things shake out with those like yourself who have already purchased one. I’d keep the D 850 as a backup. That’s what I will do with my D500.
Samr here, I have scared alot of shots with the clank of shutter. Not sure I want 2 systems though.... but if short hikes, can do. I lugged this one down a 11 mi roundtrip to Fern Canyon ( where Jurassic Park creek scene was shot) from Prairie Creek State Park, 50 floors per Siri with a 24-70/FTZ adapted sling back pack and my shoulders were killing me. Beautiful hike thru Redwoods if ever get out west and have a day, ends on a beach. Can drive to it but required reservation which we didn't know, been years since there last so we had to hike if wanted to see.
NZ8_0485.jpg
NZ8_0471.jpg

Thanks Steven. I don't know what my photo style is exactly but I sure nail alot of birds behind objects but this one just looked like he head planted the pier pylon.. That is actually the same Night Heron from the seaweed shot as he took off.
Oh wow, minus his head he looks just like a ring billed gull :)

Samr here, I have scared alot of shots with the clank of shutter. Not sure I want 2 systems though.... but if short hikes, can do. I lugged this one down a 11 mi roundtrip to Fern Canyon ( where Jurassic Park creek scene was shot) from Prairie Creek State Park, 50 floors per Siri with a 24-70/FTZ adapted sling back pack and my shoulders were killing me. Beautiful hike thru Redwoods if ever get out west and have a day, ends on a beach. Can drive to it but required reservation which we didn't know, been years since there last so we had to hike if wanted to see.
View attachment 62907View attachment 62908
Very Cool place👍