Flaps Down!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

.... this Pied Cormorant landed in nice light for my action practice! Suggestions welcome please.

_DZ91725-Edit-3.png

Looks like a nice shot. Everyone has different tastes and if it were mine, I would pull back a little from the crop (cropped???) and open it up just a little more and level the image. The lines (ripples) in the water are not level. Although tilting can be used for effect, I don't think it works here. Nice capture, good job!

Looks like a nice shot. Everyone has different tastes and if it were mine, I would pull back a little from the crop (cropped???) and open it up just a little more and level the image. The lines (ripples) in the water are not level. Although tilting can be used for effect, I don't think it works here. Nice capture, good job!
Thanks very much, I did have a longer crop before so will go back to it and correct tilt further.

You have done some REALLY good things here.…..
1. You have absolutely nailed the focus..
2. It’s early/late light (golden hour), perfect timing.
3. This is a great action shot, water stopped mid-splash.
4. You’ve avoided the “field guide” type of image.
5.👍

You have done some REALLY good things here.…..
1. You have absolutely nailed the focus..
2. It’s early/late light (golden hour), perfect timing.
3. This is a great action shot, water stopped mid-splash.
4. You’ve avoided the “field guide” type of image.
5.👍
Thanks very much Larry, and the colours in the water are not enhanced with saturation - they were what attracted me to the shot as well! I will straighten it a bit more than I had to improve the angle.

LCS_1657.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

“Flaps Down” are among my favorite water bird images. I particularly like cormorants (like your great shot), herons and white egrets, like these. They are graceful, slow and often drag their feet. 1/1600-2000 sec is normally fast enough to get a decent shot…

Back