Fluid Head for Long Lens Videography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What fluid head are folk using with long lenses? I use a Sachtler XL and find there is too much flex in the pan bearing and too much bounce-back at the end of a pan. Also it allows the lens to move about in wind. I know a really top class rig starts around USD20k and I can't/won't spend that. But is there a solution to this that does not cost a kidney? Heaviest load is a Nikon Z9 with 800mm PF - usually around 4.5kg (11Ib) rigged in cage with a couple of accessories. I don't think the issue is weight though, it is more the leverage and windage applied by a very long but quite light lens. TIA.

What fluid head are folk using with long lenses? I use a Sachtler XL and find there is too much flex in the pan bearing and too much bounce-back at the end of a pan. Also it allows the lens to move about in wind. I know a really top class rig starts around USD20k and I can't/won't spend that. But is there a solution to this that does not cost a kidney? Heaviest load is a Nikon Z9 with 800mm PF - usually around 4.5kg (11Ib) rigged in cage with a couple of accessories. I don't think the issue is weight though, it is more the leverage and windage applied by a very long but quite light lens. TIA.

I'm partial for the Cartoni Focus 8. Went through similar thought process, although lighter lenses. Z9, fully-rigged (monitor, rails, follow-focus, matte box, V-mount battery). Most often on a camera stand in the studio, or the larger RRS sticks in the field.

I'm partial for the Cartoni Focus 8. Went through similar thought process, although lighter lenses. Z9, fully-rigged (monitor, rails, follow-focus, matte box, V-mount battery). Most often on a camera stand in the studio, or the larger RRS sticks in the field.
Thanks Nimi, I will look that up. What is the longest/heaviest lens you use with this head?

My rig of choice is the Sachtler Aktiv8 on a Flowtech 75. The tripod is just as important as the fluid head. (I have the Ace XL as well but the Aktiv8 is in another league entirely.) There are bigger/heavier/more stable rigs but I still need portability and I find this combo to be a great compromise that supports smooth pans a 2600mm focal lengths as long as the ground is very firm and it's not windy.

My rig of choice is the Sachtler Aktiv8 on a Flowtech 75. The tripod is just as important as the fluid head. (I have the Ace XL as well but the Aktiv8 is in another league entirely.) There are bigger/heavier/more stable rigs but I still need portability and I find this combo to be a great compromise that supports smooth pans a 2600mm focal lengths as long as the ground is very firm and it's not windy.
Thanks, what is the largest/heaviest lens that you use with the Aktiv8/Flowtech 75?

Just took a look at that Aktiv8 on a Flowtech 75 combo on YT and it looks great. Love that shooting at ground level is possible and the levelling lever on top of the tripod.

Z9 & 800pf, but the Aktiv8 and tripod will take a LOT more weight than that. What I like about the Flowtech is that it's VERY stiff -- stiffer than my Series 3 RRS 34L tripod -- and a lot quicker/easier to setup and adjust.
Totally in agreement about the legs. I mostly shoot without a tripod outside the studio, but if I did, I'd get them instead of my RRS. stiffness is critical for panning, and the RRS flexes enough to give irregular panning, especially at 120fps.

Back