Fluid Head Users: Do you buy multiple plates or convert to Arca Swiss?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DsD

I guess this could be a Poll question.

Given the relatively popular use/move toward entry level video fluid heads for still photography do you folks buy extra plates for your intended lenses or just convert to Arca? For the Manfrotto heads Used to replace gimbals, I can see merit in buying the relatively cheap plates instead of the additional cost and associated weight of an Arca conversion. I’ll probably get a Cartoni Focus 8 head in the near future thanks to Nimi!
What are you folk doing and or think on the subject?

Thanx Alistair & Nimi!

And Nimi, is your clamp quick release or screw? If I went with the Kirk quick release screw clamp do you think I would need the long screw version to clear the head?

Thanx Alistair & Nimi!

And Nimi, is your clamp quick release or screw? If I went with the Kirk quick release screw clamp do you think I would need the long screw version to clear the head?

I only use clamps. In this case, I had an extra panning clamp like this one:

Thanx Alistair & Nimi!

After some bad experiences, I try to match the clamp/head to the plate, same manufacturers. Since the Arca Swiss is not a true standard, there are variations in the angle of the claw among manufacturers. Mostly RRS.

After some bad experiences, I try to match the clamp/head to the plate, same manufacturers. Since the Arca Swiss is not a true standard, there are variations in the angle of the claw among manufacturers. Mostly RRS.
Took me a bit but I think I get what you’re saying. If say RRS you match their lens plates and camera brackets solely to their clamps.

I have a mish-mash of lens plates and replacement feet by the likes of Kirk, Hejnar and Pro Media Gear. My only QR clamp is from RRS and on their BH-55 head.

But any makers clamp with the right screw size would bolt up to the Cartoni plate.

Took me a bit but I think I get what you’re saying. If say RRS you match their lens plates and camera brackets solely to their clamps.

I have a mish-mash of lens plates and replacement feet by the likes of Kirk, Hejnar and Pro Media Gear. My only QR clamp is from RRS and on their BH-55 head.

But any makers clamp with the right screw size would bolt up to the Cartoni plate.

Yes, it's a standard oversized plate, matched to the head. The head is an overkill for my Z9, but it's a great head. 75mm bowl which fits into my RRS sticks. Like you, my main head is the BH55.

Reactions: DsD
Thanx Alistair & Nimi!

The panning base that Nimi links to is probably tall enough for the clamp or screw to clear your head. If using a non-panning base like the Wimberley C30 you are well advised to get a clamp rather than screw, provided the clamp does not protrude below the base. In this way there is no chance of interference with your head. I use lenses from 14mm to 800mm and the non-panning base has the advantage of providing space to slide the lens foot or camera to achieve balance as the C30 is over 4 inches long.

Bolting an Arca-Swiss quick-release clamp to a plate does work, but I don't like how it introduces more height into the stack and more opportunity for mechanical flex. Are there products that actually allow you to swap out the clamp on the fluid head? I could only find that Kirk makes "quick release bridges" for a few Manfrotto fluid heads, but I don't want to be forced to use Manfrotto.

I convert to arca Swiss via a Wimberley c30 permanently bolted to my Sachtler plate.

An RRS clamp is permanently bolted to my Cartoni plate.

I have a 120mm long (screw type) Arca Swiss clamp permanently attached to my Manfrotto plate (which is 140mm long) on my Manfrotto 502. The height increase is about 15mm - the height of the lips of the clamp. Have been using this for 2 years with my long lenses and their Arca Swiss plates/feet.

Thanks again Alistair good advice.
The panning base that Nimi links to is probably tall enough for the clamp or screw to clear your head. If using a non-panning base like the Wimberley C30 you are well advised to get a clamp rather than screw, provided the clamp does not protrude below the base. In this way there is no chance of interference with your head. I use lenses from 14mm to 800mm and the non-panning base has the advantage of providing space to slide the lens foot or camera to achieve balance as the C30 is over 4 inches long.

I have a 120mm long (screw type) Arca Swiss clamp permanently attached to my Manfrotto plate (which is 140mm long) on my Manfrotto 502. The height increase is about 15mm - the height of the lips of the clamp. Have been using this for 2 years with my long lenses and their Arca Swiss plates/feet.

I have recently purchased a Manfrotto Nitrotech 608 fluid head but also added a Hejnar 3.25” clamp on it. This allows me to keep using the Kirk replacement foot on my 600mm lens.
See the link for a video that shows this video head:

Another solution I use is from Hejnar
Thank you folk for further confirmation, and likely my solution as well. However I won’t need the specialty bridge plate like Bob’s.

I've attached a Really Right Stuff 80mm B2 Clamp to my Manfrotto 608's plate. It is very solid and I don't really notice the slight increase in viewfinder height mwhen a camera is mounted upon it.

Reactions: DsD
This is what I use too. Kirk also makes that arca to Manfrotto video head adapter. Don't forget some type of leveling devices for the video head. I use a bowl-mount tripod
Yes, like you I switched to tripods with bowls. The last two tripods purchased are classified as "video" tripods which seem to place more emphasis on easy leveling.

Back