Focus Point Jumping off Target Using Continuous High

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a D500 with a Nikon 500mm PF lens. I find when using Single-point focus area on continuous high, the focus point is reluctant to stay on the target, normally a fairly static bird/insect. I recently tried using a Canon 90d with a Canon 100-400mm on Continuous High and the focus point was rock solid on target. It just seems that tracking through the burst is poor on my Nikon combination and I get very few keepers. It is not down to technique as I don't stab the shutter button and my arms are well supported/braced. I do have VR on and set to Normal, and I do use BBAF.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

I believe on your camera when you choose single point af it is up to you to stay on the subject. You'd have to use one of the other af area modes if you want the camera to follow the subject. I'm sure you will get more advice from those that have your camera.

I believe on your camera when you choose single point af it is up to you to stay on the subject. You'd have to use one of the other af area modes if you want the camera to follow the subject. I'm sure you will get more advice from those that have your camera.
Thanks, I am aware of that, the problem is that the focus point jumps despite my steady aim. The Canon 90d and 100-400 was rock solid so it isn’t my technique.

Thanks, I am aware of that, the problem is that the focus point jumps despite my steady aim. The Canon 90d and 100-400 was rock solid so it isn’t my technique.
If you are in single point and not in any of the dynamic group modes the focus point does not move in the frame unless you move it. However what you may be experiencing is the VR re-centering the frame after each shutter actuation. That is a feature unique to Nikon's method of implementing VR. The only way around it is to switch off VR on the lens. Or try George's recommendation above.

Thanks Dan, I will try using Sport Mode. I am definitely not deliberately moving the lens through poor technique. If I take a burst of 1-2 secs with the Canon the focus point never moves off target, on my Nikon setup, the focus point moves all around the target during the burst. I have resorted to using Continuous Low as I find it easier to maintain the focus point on my static target.

Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

This isn't about following the subject Bill, I am trying to photograph static birds/insects, not moving ones.

Unless there's something wrong with your camera, the focus point should not move. It's more likely that you're moving it inadvertently. Do you have the sub-selector set to move the focus point? It's real easy to touch that especially if you're using the AF-ON button for back-button focusing. Try setting the focus point and locking it with the lock tab on the multi-selector.

Unless there's something wrong with your camera, the focus point should not move. It's more likely that you're moving it inadvertently. Do you have the sub-selector set to move the focus point? It's real easy to touch that especially if you're using the AF-ON button for back-button focusing. Try setting the focus point and locking it with the lock tab on the multi-selector.
I have the lock tab selected. The focus point remains steady in the lens, it’s just that the lens seems to twitch as a reaction to the motion of 10 frames/second. It’s very difficult to hold the chosen focus point on the target through a 1-2 second burst.

I have the lock tab selected. The focus point remains steady in the lens, it’s just that the lens seems to twitch as a reaction to the motion of 10 frames/second. It’s very difficult to hold the chosen focus point on the target through a 1-2 second burst.
Oh, OK. It's the VR then as others have mentioned.

I have the exact same combination you have. As others have said, with VR set to Normal, you’ll see the focus point move somewhat, just due to the VR action. This occurs much less, if at all with VR set to Sport. Steve also mentions this in one of his e books.

Back