Focus Stacking on Sony cameras just using a RMT-P1BT remote control

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I received the remote this morning and have been trying it out. I’m really impressed with the operation and ease of connection. The distance it works at is pretty awesome as well.

Have you used this in any of your macro work?
I use the remote occasionally, but since buying the A7RV, I don’t have to use a remote anymore. I just do a timer within the camera for focus stacking. I also bought a crop body A6700 that does focus stacking as well so I no longer use the A1 for any type of shooting like that. I don’t understand why they never added bracketing to that body. I never use Sony‘s camera app and honestly never cared for using the phone with the Nikon system either when I shot Nikon. To me it’s just a hassle trying to use the phone and camera at the same time and all that.

I think there isn't a perfect solution (for Sony)
- the remote is an additional item to bring around and is a kind of workaround because can't do a true focus bracketing
- camera with built-in focus bracketing are better, but expensive and with some limitations
- app based solutions are compatible with old models too, but it's something to buy apart and some may be slow

I don't have Nikon systems so I can't say anything about them

Back