If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kathy G

Fogo Island is a relatively large island off the island of Newfoundland. Fogo once had a vibrant cod fishery and today the fishery (despite the cod moratorium) continues to be an important part of its economy. During the past 10 years it has become a tourist hot spot. A very expensive hotel, which attracts the rich and famous (and not so famous but very rich) was established on the island a little over a decade ago and the tweets of celebrities have attracted many tourists. The subject of this photo is the red shed. These sheds are common across Newfoundland fishing villages and they are used in the fishery and, importantly, for 'shed parties'. As always, constructive comments are welcome!
FogoIsland2018_041_Nik.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Beautiful place and a "I want to be there" feel to it.
If you want to add some punch, maybe a graduated gradient across the top down to the the water to slightly darken the top clouds en lighten the whites in it.
I would slightly darken the whites on the bench and boat.
Slightly punch-up the red of the cabins in the direct sunlight and just tweak the shadows in the shade to be brighter.
The beautiful lead-in rock on the left, open the shadows a bit and increase the contrast on the rocks, it pulls the eye into and onto the cabin.
The very bright white planks on the right of the boat - paint it down or clone it out.
Lastly, that blue, upside down boat on the cabin's corner? I would either crop it out or punch it up as the eye wanders there and it seems indistinct.
As always, this is subjective, little touches here and there to just maybe make a difference!

Beautiful place and a "I want to be there" feel to it.
If you want to add some punch, maybe a graduated gradient across the top down to the the water to slightly darken the top clouds en lighten the whites in it.
I would slightly darken the whites on the bench and boat.
Slightly punch-up the red of the cabins in the direct sunlight and just tweak the shadows in the shade to be brighter.
The beautiful lead-in rock on the left, open the shadows a bit and increase the contrast on the rocks, it pulls the eye into and onto the cabin.
The very bright white planks on the right of the boat - paint it down or clone it out.
Lastly, that blue, upside down boat on the cabin's corner? I would either crop it out or punch it up as the eye wanders there and it seems indistinct.
As always, this is subjective, little touches here and there to just maybe make a difference!
Thank you Callie!
Thanks for all the very good suggestions. I was wondering if the white boat was still too bright - I have decreased the highlights on this boat a fair bit (the sun was hitting it). The indistinct blue that is at the shed corner is a pile of lumber with a blue tarp sticking out at certain places. It would be difficult to clone that out, but I can darken it and decrease the blue to make it less noticeable. The other suggestions are easy tweaks I will try later today. Thanks again