Foldable Seat

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am looking for a lightweight, foldable tripod seat to carry on photo walks. I usually carry one camera, a couple of lenses and a monopod. I have some mobility issues limiting my stamina and would like to find a lightweight tripod seat to take along. There are many, many brands out there on Amazon, but it is impossible to know which are good enough just from the reviews. REI has some which are a bit more expensive. I will gladly pay more for something good. Just checking on what others may be using and how it works for you.

I'm a big fan of the Walkstool. Has telescopic legs so it folds up small for carrying.
Comes in a wide variety of sizes and prices.
Will support a wide range of body weight.
Standard model is less expensive and comes with sitting heights of either 20 or 24 inches
Comfort model has a more comfortable seat and 4 different modes with sitting height of 18, 22, 26 or 30 inches.
I typically use the 18 inch model to get low.

Well this isn't exactly "foldable" in the traditional sense, though it is more comfortable than the typical 3-legged compacts and it dissembles to the size of a water bottle. Think of it more akin to breaking down tent poles which fold up into a tiny size and I stash it in one of my backpack side pockets. Weighs about a pound, holds >250#, is more stable, and comfortable than the 3-legged compacts.

Reactions: JAS
I have a problem with my left foot/ankle if I stand for a long time, e.g., while taking photos using a telephoto setup. I have tried several different chair/stool devices, which for me have to be small and light enough to pack in a suitcase for overseas travel.

For me, the best folding stool remains the Walkstool. I get one that is relatively tall.

I tried using one of those round plastic collapsing stools when I went to Nome last year. I would not recommend these, as they work well only if you do not twist or fidget while sitting on them. If you twist, scoot, or otherwise move with your full weight on the chair (which happens in photography) there is a good chance it will break.

I also bought one of these for my trip to Mexico last April to see the total eclipse:

It has the advantage of being built to swivel, which is nice. It is slightly fiddly to set up as compared with the Walkstool.

Doug Greenberg

I am looking for a lightweight, foldable tripod seat to carry on photo walks. I usually carry one camera, a couple of lenses and a monopod. I have some mobility issues limiting my stamina and would like to find a lightweight tripod seat to take along. There are many, many brands out there on Amazon, but it is impossible to know which are good enough just from the reviews. REI has some which are a bit more expensive. I will gladly pay more for something good. Just checking on what others may be using and how it works for you.
Whatever you buy, I would get one with a back.

I have a foldable hunting chair with a back that I've used a lot (Field & Stream brand purchased at Dick's) it 's not too heavy and very comfortable for a couple of hours. I wanted something lighter, so back to Dick's where I got a tripod seat that's much lighter and cost about $20. Because of a bad back I can only use a seat without a back for about an hour, but this light seat is fine -- used it this very morning.

Hi Jas

I would go for

Helinox

It's just so comfortable.

Oliver

I bought yhe Walkstool Comfort 45 at B&H and have been reasonably pleased. The legs don't click to secure retracted, which I knew when I bought, but otherwise it's a good product.

I can also recommend the Walkstool. I had one for years and it was OK to sit on it for hours. Not a comfy sofa but light, one could even take it on longer hikes.
I gave mine away when I sold my gear about 7 years ago. Now that I am back into photography, I am thinking about getting one again for sitting in a blind, e.g. in my Garden once I've set up perches.
Also useful for birding, e.g. when waiting for hours for Golden Eagles in the Alps.

I settled on this chair very comfortable and reclines the back to whatever position you are comfortable with. The best feature is that you can grab the sling arms to get up from the seat. Lightweight too.

I would enthusiastically second the Helinox recommendation, the Ultra Lightweight series ones are amazingly light and comfortable especially with the high back. I have this one which is lighter (649g) than some of my lenses and very quick to set up -

I got mine at REI, really sturdy. I also purchased the little table to go with it. Very happy with both.

Back