Follow up on Adobe Portfolio - Example of Sharpness Limitation using LRc Collections

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hooligans Imagery

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I posted the thread linked below on the ease of using Adobe Portfolio. Unfortunately, I discovered that the simplistic way which uses Lightroom Classic Collection Sets and rely's on Smart Previews has flaws.

You can compare for yourself in my Resolution Test Portfolio Page.

I started with a 8256x5504 Z9 NEF file.

EDIT :
There are three lines representing 100%, 50%, and 25% crop.
  1. NEF
  2. Jpgs exported from the NEF and imported into the collection. This means a Smart Preview is created and used on Portfolio.
  3. Jpgs directly uploaded to the Portfolio.

What this tells me simply is that the use of Collection Sets to create Portfolio pages doesn't result in sharp images being shown, even though it's very convenient for managing them.

Last edited:
Your initial thread prompted me to get back to the Adobe Portfolio site I had started 2 years ago (thanks for that). I'm also using synced LRC collections to populate the site but I don't use JPGs, but rather PSDs since my workflow goes from LRC to PS. Interestingly, the few NEFs I put on the site looked terrible ((looked overexposed - didn't look at the resolution since the first glance told me to delete them). The PSDs look fine.

Nice site and some very good shots.

Your initial thread prompted me to get back to the Adobe Portfolio site I had started 2 years ago (thanks for that). I'm also using synced LRC collections to populate the site but I don't use JPGs, but rather PSDs since my workflow goes from LRC to PS. Interestingly, the few NEFs I put on the site looked terrible ((looked overexposed - didn't look at the resolution since the first glance told me to delete them). The PSDs look fine.

Nice site and some very good shots.
Thanks, I believe PSD's will be the same based on what I learned assuming you are synching from LRc and not directly uploading them.
BTW, if you upload to Lightroom Cloud (not synch) that takes care of the issue too, but uses your cloud storage space allocation.

Yeah, I think you're right in terms of the smart previews from a synched image. I just checked and the photos are not as sharp as I see them on my PC. I might try doing the export and then uploading to see if (on the web) it makes a difference in the viewing experience. Thanks Michael.

Note that the 1/4 image is less than the smart preview size and thus I don't think it is downsampled. The Smart Preview is probably the size of the image since it's less than 2540 and thus that sync version looks the same as the uploaded jpg.

Back