For owners of Z 8, Z 9, and Z 6iii - which do you use and when

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
For those have the Z 8, Z 9 and Z 6iii, when do you use (or anticipate using) each camera? I realize that the Z 6iii is fairly new and usage may limited. Best thoughts , how you might use them.

I use my Z8 & Z9 primarily for wildlife, mostly birds. Occasionally I’ll shoot landscapes and flower blossoms. My Z6III is meant for casual photography (vacation, family events, etc). I’ve had it with me the past week or so with a 28-400 lens mounted to it. It’s done fine in the hour or two I’ve used it shoot seagulls in flight. Focus speed with the lens is slower than I’m used to but the images look good.

For those have the Z 8, Z 9 and Z 6iii, when do you use (or anticipate using) each camera? I realize that the Z 6iii is fairly new and usage may limited. Best thoughts , how you might use them.
Z8 has a 100-400 lens attached. The Z9 gets the 600 TC. Size and weights are compatible. Both are also backups. The 14-24 goes on the Z9 for astrophotograhy and landscapes.

The 600 is my all around go to lens used almost all the time. The 100-400 is for closer critters like in my backyard or in the field as a quasi-macro lens for insects and butterflies and for BIF at 20’. Also great on boats where birds are close and people are nearby. Easy to find and track birds because the Z8 and100/400 is so light and maneuverable.

I am doing the same as @JAJohnson. When my purpose is not wildlife specific I will now carry the Z6iii. Much easier to carry around. As the Pelican images I posted show if there is an opportunity on a non wildlife trip it will do well enough. I think the Z6iii with Plena will be my main travel kit, with the 24-120 replacing the 24-200 when I can find one, and the 26 for taking out in the evening.

If I were to go back to Africa or another trip requiring two cameras, my 600PF would go on the Z9 and I am not sure what would go on the Z6iii as backup. Either the Plena or 100-400.

I do like the EVF when light is low. And I do like the SOOC jpgs for sharing with family even at high ISOs. So that factors in.

Hope that helps Rich.

I bought my Z6III for wildlife backup and travel or anytime the Z9 is too much trouble to lug around. For example, I used it for shooting fireworks on the 4th. I've used it with a 500pf for a lightweight wildlife setup and it works pretty well. I use the Z9 for stuff I want to shoot with the 800pf which is the vast majority of my photography.

Before switching to mirrorless I used a D850 (45MP) and a D4s (16,2 MP) and the latter was my low light monster.
Today the situation regarding low light performance versus sensor pixel size is somewhat different.

Now:

I don't use a Z9 at all, simply because for financial reasons I just could afford stepping from F to Z by restricting myself to having one body to start with and fort that the Z8 was the better choice (not so bulky).
The Z8 I currently use for everything as I don't have another body yet.

Future - Variant 1:
The Z6III would become my cecondary body to use for wildlife in shooting scenarios, where I will most likely be able to fill the frame properly and don't hace to crop
The Z8 would by for anything elase

Future - Variant 2:

After havcing been happy shooting with 24MP for years without having had the feeling to miss something, I could even imagine to go back completely and use two Z6 III.
I loose resolution and perhaps some advanced functions - that I haven't used up to now - , but I would get the new EVF and have two identical bodies in terms of control layout including a properly working solution for persistent storage of user settings.

Z8 for Birds or just anything further out. I am unlike most (well everyone else) here and currently have the Kit 24-120 lens as my "distance" lens. I will soon be getting the 180-600....I foresee that being the primary lens for that camera. I also foresee my Z8 used with my 35mm/1.8 for all family event with kids......pretty much everything else will be done with my Q3.

thanks for the replies and thoughts how you will use the Z 6iii. I am considering "upgrading" my Z 7ii to a Z 6iii for a walk around camera. Really don't need 45.7 MP for casual use.

I have the Z8 and Zf combo. Z8 is the preferred if I’m after sports/action and I’ll grab it for all my local stuff near home. Zf I use as a “fun” camera with vintage AI-S and primes for the most part. It’s also my preferred travel camera. I enjoy the dials experience. Z6iii would be my camera of choice if I didn’t like that use experience though and be in the same role. It’s a really nice camera combination.

I don’t want for much in either but I would love to see a 30 FPS option for the Z8 with RAW support, even if the buffer is limited and it’s fine if it’s restricted to HE* or HE for my use. Same for what can be extracted from the ZF for performance. Precapture with RAW support for both is my most wanted change to firmware if Nikon can pull that off, even if it’s in HE only.

I don’t want for much in either but I would love to see a 30 FPS option for the Z8 with RAW support, even if the buffer is limited and it’s fine if it’s restricted to HE* or HE for my use. Same for what can be extracted from the ZF for performance. Precapture with RAW support for both is my most wanted change to firmware if Nikon can pull that off, even if it’s in HE only.
I am with you, brother!! 30 FPS raw with precapture, even if only HE* (which I use 90% of the time)

Sold my Z9 and bought a second Z8 for wildlife and 'photo' travel. Thinking about a Z6III for a lightweight 'travel' kit…but it's not al that much smaller and lighter than the Z8 and I really don't need a third body so will likely use take a Z8 and single 24-120 for those sorts of trips.

Back