Formatting cards on the Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I usually just do a quick format before each new shoot (assuming everything has been backed up obviously). I honestly wouldn't bother with doing a full format unless you're selling or disposing of the card (although it doesn't hurt anything).

As far as the difference goes:

- Quick format: similar to removing files on a harddisk. The reference in the File Allocation Table (FAT) gets wiped and that's it (actual data stays on the card until it gets overwritten by new data).
- Full format: I'm not entirely sure how/what Nikon implemented here. But if I had to take I guess (based on how quick the process is); they probably just wipe the FAT, zero fill the card and create a new filesystem (effectively destroying the data on the card).

There is no reason to speculate.

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.co...writes only,transfer of ownership or disposal.

• Performing a full format deletes data from all areas of the card. Perform a full format to ensure that all data are deleted or if you notice a drop in the speed at which data are read from or written to the card.
Generally speaking a quick format writes a zero to the first character in each file name, and resets the file allocation table. A full format adds a TRIM command which resets blocks of data that are no longer considered to be in use and therefore can be erased internally.

Cannot recall where I read this suggestion to do a full format on my CFExpress cards when they were new, out of the box and done in the Z9 body. But it makes sense to me. After the one full format I only do the quick format.

Hi all
i was wondering whether others use the fast format or the full format and what the difference is. Is using full format each time hard on the cards? Thanks
I hardly ever reformat but load settings before I do and save afterwards…and either full or quick depending on the phase of the moon. Mostly I just use the delete all images option from MyMenu.

Many various suggestions, mine- I do a full format first time in. I will not format until the card is nearly or totally full (start new folders for each shoot), when it's time to format I will I do a fast.

Back