Fort De Soto Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,

I am thinking of heading to Fort De Soto this fall to photograph birds. Never been before and will be traveling solo. Any safety concerns about me walking around the area alone (female). Is it typically pretty active with other photographers? Thanks in advance for any insight!

It's a Florida State Park with an admission fee. It's reasonably well patrolled and closed at night. Like any public park, you need to use good judgement and not leave expensive gear visible in your car. I would not consider the area a problem location or high risk in terms of personal safety. The park is relatively wide open - especially the places you will normally be photographing.

The county has online reporting for all reported crimes. That database only lists three crimes reported this year - one in the past six months.

1725469231952.png

Most Florida State Parks open at 8 am. Not necessarily photography friendly at some times of the year. If you have an annual pass you can make arrangements with some parks to get in early. That has worked at a few and didn't work at a couple of others.

DeSoto has a campground and people at night. Last time I was there it was gated and you could not enter until something like 8:00 AM. Check for details.

There are some nice photos on the causeway on the road to Fort DeSoto with both landscapes and birds feeding in the very shallow tidal flats.

I was there in March, it felt very safe. Usually a handful of photographers in addition to a number of beachgoers. When I was there the gate opened at 7am. I say go for it, it's a wonderful place to photograph shorebirds.

I live close by and it is a safe park. Like Eric mentioned, practice sensible safety and you will be fine.

During the “winter” months you’ll usually see quite a few photographers out there at sunrise either for birds or to capture the Skyway bridge. Keep in mind it’s a very large park so if there are 50 photographers out there you may not see but 1 or 2.

Feel free to message me if you’d like to meet up as I’ll head back out there in the winter.

Like every other location, when I go, I have the gear I'm going to use set aside in the front of the car if I am carrying other gear. I don't "advertise" that I have any other gear in my vehicle when I get to the shooting location.

I've been to Fort DeSoto once, in May of 2023, and it was relatively empty, and had no concerns about anyone bothering my gear. Granted, there's always a "first time," but I wouldn't worry about this at Fort DeSoto as much as I'd worry about it in some of the other places I've visited in Central Florida.

There were enough other people there at the time, so I would see no reason for you to worry about being there alone, other than it's always better to go with a "safety buddy" just in case an emergency arises.

I've been there a bunch of times and the gate has always opened at 7am. I usually go to the North Beach where there are lots of birds to photograph and usually at least of few fellow photographers. Spring and winter offer the best photo ops, but I also had good luck in October last year. There is a $5 parking fee. I think it's a pretty safe area but I always keep my unused geal in the trunk and unload in an area of the parking lot where I won't be observed.

I've been there a bunch of times and the gate has always opened at 7am. I usually go to the North Beach where there are lots of birds to photograph and usually at least of few fellow photographers. Spring and winter offer the best photo ops, but I also had good luck in October last year. There is a $5 parking fee. I think it's a pretty safe area but I always keep my unused geal in the trunk and unload in an area of the parking lot where I won't be observed.
Agreed. North Beach is the best for birds.

Back