Freeze or prevent your aperture and shutter settings from accidentally changing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I saw on a FB posting this morning that a photographer was having problems with his fingers occasionally accidentally changing the aperture on his camera from constantly handling during studio sessions---like all of us frequently do. Me included...
If you shoot with a Nikon camera, there is a setting in your Menu to "freeze" the settings so that they will not be changed. This was designed so that when you hand your camera off to a friend or stranger to take a picture for you, they won't accidentally change aperture or shutter speed settings. Go to "Custom Settings". On my Z6ii, the menu item is f4-"shutter spd and aperture lock".
Note now that when you set this to "on", you won't be able to change these settings either. So when you shop the shoot, make sure you reset this f4 setting---otherwise, you be wondering why the aperture and shutter won't change on your next outing--lol
This option may be present on the off-brand cameras as well

Back