from Nikon to Panasonic four thirds camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Don't get me wrong I shall still be keepimg my Nikon D810 and D300 plus lenses but. As I am getting older I am finding carrying around a heavy camera and lens ( nearly 80years old) a bit much for all day so decided to get a Panasonic G9 camera with the 12-60mm lens and added the 100-300mm lens as well. So been getting used to the G9 and it offers so much more such as up to 6K for one thing. Getting a wireless remote shutter switch took a bit if finding but found one eventually. Have to be honest and say at the moment I prefer the G9 to Nikon.

G9 example greatly reduced from 6k photo hand held

abc.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I don't see many if any members mentioning four thirds cameras and I wonder why

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I shall still be keepimg my Nikon D810 and D300 plus lenses but. As I am getting older I am finding carrying around a heavy camera and lens ( nearly 80years old) a bit much for all day so decided to get a Panasonic G9 camera with the 12-60mm lens and added the 100-300mm lens as well. So been getting used to the G9 and it offers so much more such as up to 6K for one thing. Getting a wireless remote shutter switch took a bit if finding but found one eventually. Have to be honest and say at the moment I prefer the G9 to Nikon.

G9 example greatly reduced from 6k photo hand held

I don't see many if any members mentioning four thirds cameras and I wonder why

Welcome to M43! If you search there are a few OM-1 threads (which is probably the more popular camera here for wildlife) and they are recommended whenever someone starts a "I need a lighter alternative".

i decided on the panasonic G9 as I have the pansonic HC-X1500 camcorder. So hopefully both will interwine with each other. The G9 for stills and the other for videos. I also have the Panasonic DC-TZ95 so familier with the menu layout

i decided on the panasonic G9 as I have the pansonic HC-X1500 camcorder. So hopefully both will interwine with each other. The G9 for stills and the other for videos. I also have the Panasonic DC-TZ95 so familier with the menu layout
The G9 is a great camera. I had one and it was one of my favorites for various reasons so I think you'll love it.

The G9 is a very nice camera, one of the best ergonomics I've ever used. Image quality is decent, even though not up to a D810 but so much easier to use.

The lenses are great (if you have the funds, I do recommend the PL 50-200mm f2.8-f4 with 1.4x TC over the 100-300mm and the PL 8-18mm f2.8-f4 as a wideangle).

I've actually been using mine for video lately as it get great 4k quality and the IBIS (or dual IS) is rock solid.

I have m43 (OM-1/100-400) and use it most of the time for the same reason - light weight - plus more reach. And I've been thinking of getting a G9 as a second camera. I also kept my Nikon but don't use it as much. Enjoy your new gear, I think you'll like it.

Olympus user here, I had a Panasonic but found the Olympus ergonomics better for my hands -- other hands, other cameras. The G9 is a great camera and I still use several Panasonic lenses. This is a Nikon-oriented forum (perhaps because most of the members have never laid hands on any MFT gear ;)) but the members appreciate good images no matter the camera that produced them. At 80+ and with a bad back and failing legs I appreciate the lighter weight and smaller size of MFT gear.

Back