Frustrated with Nikon Studio

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I do digitally manipulated photography so I do the majority of processing in Photoshop. I used Nikon View to look at all the photographs from a download and pick one, right click, and choose open in Photoshop. Worked fine. Once I do processing I save as the image back to the original directory as a .tif appending an a to the image name. If I make additional changes I save it with b, etc. Then Nikon View goes away and Nikon Studio replaced it. All is fine except that everytime I do open in Photoshop, Nikon Studio puts the image in a totally different directory. So when I go to save as for the modified version I have to search for the original directory. I guess Nikon is doing this so I don't accidentally write over something. I wish they would make this "feature" optional or add a choice to open the file in the directory where it resides.

You might check the preferences and save settings. You should be able to save it wherever you want it.

I am not a software expert, but it sounds like something to do with Photoshop and not Nikon Studio?

I use Photoshop Elements and have a similar problem. If I right click and open in Elements and then go to save, it wants to save it to the last folder I had open (in Elements), not the folder the image was obtained from.

I am not a software expert, but it sounds like something to do with Photoshop and not Nikon Studio?

I use Photoshop Elements and have a similar problem. If I right click and open in Elements and then go to save, it wants to save it to the last folder I had open (in Elements), not the folder the image was obtained from.
Always worked fine in Nikon View. When I open the file from Studio I am opening it from the directory where I want to save my changes. But Studio moves it to a top level directory and then opens it in Photoshop. So when I do "save as" Photoshop wants to put it back in the directory Studio opened it from. I have to go in ocassionally and clear out that top level directory.

I do not use Photoshop but can use NXStudio 1.7.0.3001 to open files in Topaz PAI in RAW format and found that the setting in "Edit/Options/Open With Application" to set the "Location for Files Opened in Other Applications" ensures that all external to NXStudio (Photoshop, Topaz etc) applications know where to store files when processing is complete.
When I want to use Topaz PAI to process a a RAW image - NXStudio 1.7.0.3001 copies the RAW file from my normal location to the preferred destination set H:\Transit, then in my case Topaz PAI puts the processed tiff file into H:\Transit.
NX_Studio_1_7_0_3001_Options_OwA.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

You might try this setting to direct all applications outside NXStudio where to place the processed images?

I do not use Photoshop but can use NXStudio 1.7.0.3001 to open files in Topaz PAI in RAW format and found that the setting in "Edit/Options/Open With Application" to set the "Location for Files Opened in Other Applications" ensures that all external to NXStudio (Photoshop, Topaz etc) applications know where to store files when processing is complete.
When I want to use Topaz PAI to process a a RAW image - NXStudio 1.7.0.3001 copies the RAW file from my normal location to the preferred destination set H:\Transit, then in my case Topaz PAI puts the processed tiff file into H:\Transit.
View attachment 92940
You might try this setting to direct all applications outside NXStudio where to place the processed images?
That is exactly my problem. I don't want it moved to H:Transit or any other directory. I want it to be opened where it is so that when I make my changes and save the new image it goes back in the directory it came from without me having to search for it. Everytime I download photos they go into a new directory. I don't delete anything because many times I have gone back through old photos and found something that I can make into a saleable image. I have over 1000 directories. Been doing this a long time. I understand that some may find this helpful but I wish there was an option to not move my photos to another directory.

You keep saying save as, wondering what happens with save? I know when I go from lightroom to photoshop and hit save or ctrl s, it puts it back in the same folder it came from.

You keep saying save as, wondering what happens with save? I know when I go from lightroom to photoshop and hit save or ctrl s, it puts it back in the same folder it came from.
Save puts in back in the directory where Studio put it, not back in the original directory. It is a nice option for people who want to make sure they don't overwrite the original file. I just wish I had the option to turn that off. Actually I wish they would just create a Nikon View again. I don't use all the fancy options in Studio.

I know. I keep hoping that in one of the updates to NIkon Studio they make that setting optional. In the meantime I'm looking at the downloaded images in Studio and then note the names of ones I want to work on and open them directly in Photoshop.

I see no reason why you cannot point NXStudio to your download location before going any further with your processing work flow?
You know your download/work location, set NXStudio to point to that location as I have shown above.

If you are only selecting one file at a time - select it then proceed, if more than one - select the group then proceed.

After testing this scenario I am pretty sure that NXStudio does not want to overwrite images as it makes a copy of the original file to preserve it before sending it off to an external application by appending an underscore and a number (01 - number of files copied) to the filename, if you wish you can delete your originals or move them to a safer/backup location once you have finished your processing.

Back