FTZ Issue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

dabhand16

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My FTZ lives on my 70-200 E FL most of the time and has been on it for quite a while. I had an opportunity to use my Sigma 150-600 Sport recently so swapped the FTZ over. When I tried to get it off the 70-200 it was quite stiff but came off after a short struggle. It was also a bit stiff fitting it to the Sigma but it did seat OK and worked OK too.

Removing it was the same as from the Nikon 70-200, on the stiff side. When I came to put it back onto he 70-200 it was again stiff and felt like there was some roughness as it came near to seating. I did not seat it, and checked the mounts on both the lens and the FTZ and they are clean and have no marks on them at all and the release pin is retracting OK. Now if this was anything but a camera lens I'd have reached for some light oil or a tiny touch of grease but I 'ain't doing that!

It just might be that the FTZ has not seen much on/off since I got it so my instinct is that it is a 'running in' thing and in use it will probably loosen with more use, but I don't remember it being like this when I first got my Z camera and the FTZ.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What I can think of and what I will say here probably sounds a little crazy, but perhaps it could be a consequence of the temperature, remember that metals expand with heat. If this effect happened during the time your gear was exposed to the sun, this could have influenced Iin the coupling between your FTZ and your lens.
Bandera de Chile 90.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

What I can think of and what I will say here probably sounds a little crazy, but perhaps it could be a consequence of the temperature, remember that metals expand with heat. If this effect happened during the time your gear was exposed to the sun, this could have influenced Iin the coupling between your FTZ and your lens.
View attachment 80529

This was indoors.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've narrowed it down to when the lugs on the lens mount meet the springs on the FTZ mount. I'll leave it for now but will bank the suggested solutions.

Back