Fuji X-S10 vs Z50/Zfc

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

I am a Nikon shooter and have been waiting for a Z50 upgrade.. I will wait for the Z9 announcement to make sure no other Z will be announced as a surprise.
I'm looking for an all-day camera, light, compact, with Eye AF and fully articulating screen (the latter 2 are must haves). Main subject will be family (kids) as well as occasional landscape scenes.

Concerns with Fuji:
- Apparently the RAW files are not as user friendly as Nikon
- The Battery life isn't great due to the IBIS

Advantages of Fuji:
- IBIS included
- Better 26 MP sensor (compared to the 20 MP from Z50)
- Better dedicated line of APSC lenses; APSC Z line of lenses is simply crappy!
-- XF16mmF2.8 R WR for Landscapes and
-- XF16-80mmF4 R OIS WR for family
- Blackout-free high fps shooting

Has anyone experience with the X-S10 or any Fuji for that matter, since the sensor is the same across the X-T series (X-T3, X-T4, X-T30, X-T20..)?

PS I know I can adapt lenses with the Z50/Zfc.. but then I lose the compact light weight advantage.. defeats the purpose of this camera.

I recently just sold my X-T3 as I don’t use it anymore, but kept the X-Pro2. There are two real issues with the RAW files. One is they take a lot more rendering time. My Z7ii files are faster to load and render. Secondly, many photo apps struggle to get the most out of them. It’s the main reason I switched from LR to C1Pro for editing. Lastly, I found foliage lost detail in my experience.

My X-T3 still used the old battery and I would say it is comparable to the Z50 battery. The new batteries are supposed to be better. I wouldn’t let the battery life concern you if you are ok with the Z50.

most of the Fuji lenses are really good. I didnt use either of the two you mentioned, but love the XF 16mm F/1.4. I have heard disappointing reviews of the 16-80mm so you might want to look at that one closer.

I didn’t like the EVF on the X-T3 after shooting the Z6. I also noticed slideshow effect when shooting high FPS. They are nice cameras, but might not be what you’re looking for. I didn’t ever use the eye AF feature. Not something I hear discussed much either, so not sure if it works well.

@Ado Wolf maybe check out the zfc. It would be cheaper than trying to get multiple brands and fit your needs better. It’s too bad they didn’t add the flip out screen to the Z5

I liked my Fujifilm cameras and lenses and they were great for some scenarios. That’s why I kept my X-Pro2. From a wildlife and landscape perspective, I was a little disappointed. I’m still interested in their GFX 100S.

That’s what I was thinking @abc123brian . I hope the 28mm f2.8 will serve me well (not a fan of the 16-50 f3.5-6.3 lens).

when I take photos of myself and the kids, on a tripod, the kids want to see themselves. That’s why the fully articulating LCD is a must. The Zfc has it. I also like their RAW files (my D7500 has the same sensor). The only thing lacking are decent lenses (where Fuji shines). Only problem is that Zfc is not sold as a kit with the 28mm yet. Very limited availability at the moment.. I guess I’ll continue using my Sony RX100 iii till it becomes available.

a Z5 with a rotating LCD would have been my ideal camera! Would buy it in a heartbeat!

Interesting response. I own an X-T3 and a D850. I have experienced none of the issues with my X-T3 Brian mentioned in his post. I have no issue with rendering time, no loss in detail. I own the Fuji 16-80mm and find it to be a fantastic lens and would highly recommend it. The eye/face detection AF works great. I can definitely state with no reservations that Fuji makes a fantastic camera and for what you are looking to use it for, it will serve you well. Here is a landscape shot taken with X-T3 and the 16-80mm lens.
Cholla at the Superstitions.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

great photo @Doug A.
Interesting input. The X-S10 has the same sensor as the T3 so one is to expect the same results..

I actually did read that Adobe doesn’t play nice with raw files from Fuji on many sites (including reputable ones like DPReview). Despite that, DPReview said the X-T30 was the best APSC mirrorless out there (ahead of Z50, A6400, M6)

I shall research this even more.. or try to rent one.. or borrow one from a friend if I can find one 😅

Last edited:
I actually did read that Adobe doesn’t play nice with raw files from Fuji on many sites (including reputable ones like DPReview). Despite that, DPReview said the X-T30 was the best APSC mirrorless out there (ahead of Z50, A6400, M6)

When I first got a Fuji this did worry me a lot but I loved my used XT-1 I bought to dip my toe in the mirrorless world so swapped it for an XT-2 and now have added an XT-4.

I've seen on the net that sharpening and detail extraction/improvements is an area that can have a profound effect on images and it does seem that adobe images can be bettered with just the way you sharpen them in Adobe products plus a tun through one of 4 apps that of course I now can't find the piece of paper that I noted them down on. However, I do remember that Iridient X-Transformer (LR plug -in) was one mentioned.

You might find these useful regarding the use of 'enhanced detail'

These compare 4 ways of processing Fuji files

The last one is food for thought. My take-away is artifacts only appear during editing and not in the final product. first time I've seen this.

None of these were the original video that I saw comparing the 4 ways of processing Fuji RAW files though.

What do I use? Well, LR and PS. I have a Fuji sharpening preset in LR - Amount 70-100, Radius 0.5, Detail 0 masking 80. I might occasionally tweak these but most of the time I leave as is, especially the radius.

Take a good hard look at the Olympus E-M5 iii, it's a dandy camera with a wide array of excellent lenses --

• 20MP Four Thirds sensor
  • 121-point autofocus
  • 50MP high-res shot mode
  • 10 fps burst shooting with AF-C
  • 4K video
  • Up 6.5EV of image stabilization
  • 2.36M-dot OLED viewfinder
  • Articulating touchscreen
  • Weather-sealed body
  • In-camera USB charging
  • 1/8000 sec mechanical shutter speed

Thanks @dabhand16 for the feedback. I usually try to avoid photo processing (big fan of shoot it right). I usually don’t sharpen and most of my editing is recovering shadows and adjusting white balance. So the thought of editing Fuji files being complex is turning me away from Fuji.

thanks @Woody Meristem for the hint. Looks like s promising camera, but since I started using the D850 I became spoiled and prefer full frame. APSC was a compromise I am willing to make just to win the compactness of things. Going four thirds would be going too far (in the wrong direction)

Last edited:
Thanks @dabhand16 fir the feedback. I usually try to avoid photo processing (big fan of shout out right). I usually don’t sharpen and most of my editing is recovering shadows and adjusting white balance. So the thought of editing Fuji files being complex is turning me away from Fuji.

If you only do that I'd use the legendary Fuji jpg files. I always shoot RAW but have compared SOOC jpgs with edited RAWS (same image saved to two cards) and the Fuji jpgs stand up very well.

Me and my girlfriend switched systems a lot in the last couple of years and landed on Fujifilm earlier this year (X-T4 and X-T3).

- Ergononmics aren't the best on the X-T3/4 but we like everything else compared to our previous cameras. I've held the X-S10 before and I much preferred the handling. I wish they had used the same grip on the X-T4.
- I use Capture one pro and the RAW files render beautifully. I could also use Apple Photos but it doesn't take lossless compressed RAW, only RAW.
- Battery life not a problem on the X-T4 (I never used more than one and a half batteries for a full day). The X-S10 uses the same battery as the X-T3 which does drain quicker. Not a problem on the X-T3 if you use a battery grip but the X-S10 doesn't take one. If you shoot video batteries will drain quicker
- Eye-AF works OK but it's not as sticky as Sony's. I do like the focus areas options on the Fujifilm cameras (much better than the competing Sony's for my use)
- Blackout-free is great but, when shooting, EVF drops down to about 40fps I believe which can be a bit choppy but not a dealbreaker to me
- The 15fps mechanical shutter of the X-T4 is really nice although it causes some EVF lag while shooting
- The EVF of the X-S10 is smaller and lower res than the one on the X-T3/4. I think it's similar to the one on the Sonys a6****
- It's possible to adapt Nikon F and Canon EF lenses to Fujifilm really well via the Fringer adapter

If you only do that I'd use the legendary Fuji jpg files. I always shoot RAW but have compared SOOC jpgs with edited RAWS (same image saved to two cards) and the Fuji jpgs stand up very well.
Agree with Graham. Shooting Fuji jpegs with their choices of film simulations is an ideal scenario for this who don't like/want to post process their images. The image I posted above was taken with the Velvia film simulation.
Totally agree with GrahaM and Doug as an XT3 user

Thanks @Tiago Cardoso for the detailed input. This gives me a much better idea of the situation than everything I read online so far 👍 I currently use the RX100iii and find the EVF too small. I assume the X-S10 has a bigger one. I’ll check it online.

@Syllog @dabhand16 @Doug A. That’s something I’ve been considering/ contemplating, since I remembered that this camera will be mostly used for day shots of kids, with less challenging conditions (like sunrises and backlight scenarios). For challenging moments I will use my D850. This camera will also double as a second landscape camera to my wildlife set (to avoid changing lenses in the field).

I use NX Studio to edit my photos. I guess I will be able to see and edit the Fuji jpg files there as well.. right?

@Syllog @dabhand16 @Doug A. That’s something I’ve been considering/ contemplating, since I remembered that this camera will be mostly used for day shots of kids, with less challenging conditions (like sunrises and backlight scenarios). For challenging moments I will use my D850. This camera will also double as a second landscape camera to my wildlife set (to avoid changing lenses in the field).

I use NX Studio to edit my photos. I guess I will be able to see and edit the Fuji jpg files there as well.. right?

For that use I think that the Fuji will excel. Fuji will loan you a kit for 2 days FREE! Check out on their web site. Not sure where you are so here is the UK page:

USA:

I'm an XT-X fan, but they have several Cameras that will do that job with the caveats mentioned above re batteries and more menu based controls and settings rather than the XT . This also applies to the XT-XX that are much cheaper but have fewer on camera controls. If you can find a Fuji dealer and get you hands on them. Also watch out for those wit no IBIS if that is important.

Last edited:
If you have the opportunity to try the camera, that would be the best option. This would give you the opportunity to see what you think of the Fuji files and if you would like them enough to meet your criteria. If possible, try shooting a couple landscape shots side by side with your D850 and compare the editing process and look at the results. Make sure to include foliage. I think this is where you will decide if it will work or not.

I do like the Fujifilm film simulations too. I find the camera shoots on the cooler side, but you can warm the jpg files a little in post or edit the profile in camera. Remember, you are much more limited to what you can do to jpg files in post. I prefer the manual controls of the X-T3 I had over the menu driven options needed for the lower end camerss. It’s always a pain to dive into menus no matter the camera. If you went with the X-Tx line, you need an X-T4 to get the flip out screen. At that point, your Fuji kit just got a bit more expensive.

For shots of the family on travels, I think you would enjoy the Fuji. I’m not sure any more than the Z-fc, but that’s for you to decide. For landscape, I’m still very hesitant to recommend. Once you see the issue it’s difficult to unsee. Good luck making the decision.

try shooting a couple landscape shots side by side with your D850 and compare the editing process and look at the results. Make sure to include foliage. I think this is where you will decide if it will work or not.

The videos I posted have different reasons for the foliage issue. One mentions that a 10-20f4 was a whole lot better than an 18-135, most recommend the
Iridient X-Transformer LR plug-in, one mentions that it is only noticeable during editing and is not on the final output and Thomas Heaton says if you don't pixel peep in the real world it is not noticeable.

It is highly dependent on the way PP is done and to some extent what lenses you use.

Professionally (product and fashion, all studio) I switched completely to Fuji. I am on my fifth body with over 1m clicks on those sensors. They are wonderful and paired with some of the best glass I've used. The 56 and 80, for example are just outstanding. There is a learning curve to post processing the files in LR, but I can't get a better image with any other system other than the medium format Fuji. My current bodies are an XT3 and XT4, selling the 3 and waiting for the XH2.

For fun (surfing, landscape and now learning bird) I use my old D4 and F5. As good as the Fujis are, their AF isn't as good. And the harsh environment requires the toughest there is.

I'm sort of lucky that my job and fun are separated by 1,700 miles so I can rationalize two completely different systems, one in Dallas one in Costa Rica.

Back