Funny problem with Sony A1 with 200-600 mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Venkatesh VT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For the past few monthe i have been experiencing a funny problem withe my A1 with 200-600.
It shows F-- & can not change the aperture at all
How ever i accidentally found out the solution to overcome the problem
If i cover the lens with hand or keep the lens on top of something which coevers the lens, the aperture is shown correctly & also able to change the aperture
Initially i thought my lens had gone bad (though i can shoot properly) .How ever after the accidental discovery of work around, i find some thing else is amiss
Any one got any better idea to over come the problem instead of visiting the Sony service center
I have givenb the screenshots of both situations- When lens is not covered & when lens is covered

Attachments

• LensCoveredSonyA1.jpg
    LensCoveredSonyA1.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 61
  • LensCoveredSonyA1.jpg
    LensCoveredSonyA1.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 60
I think you posted the same image twice. However, one thought would be to check the contacts and clean if necessary. It is possible when you put your hand over the lens or sit it down on something to cover it up, you are putting just enough pressure on it to enable the contacts to make "contact" (hey, it's 5:55am here, not enough coffee).

It would be worth a try before returning it to service.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

There were some compatibility problems with the a1 & 200-600 prior to a1 firmware 2.02, you might want to update the camera's firmware to see it this solves the problem.
This happend only for the past few months ( i am using the m since 3 years).I dont have another Sony lens to test out if the camera is ok
After seeing the horror stories of Sony's firmware upgrades, i will wait before upgrading :p

After seeing the horror stories of Sony's firmware upgrades, i will wait before upgrading :p
both of my a1 bodies are on 2.02 with no problems.

If your last resort is to send it in for service what's the harm in updating the firmware? If it fixes the problem, great! If it causes more problems, you were going to send it in for service anyway.

Last edited:
I owned the Sony 200-600 and Sony A7IV for about a year and a half and never had this happen. Sounds like a camera repair shop needs to check it out.

1) Clean the contacts
2) Check the screws on both the camera mount and the lens mount

My friend had a screw loosen on the camera mount recently so it is possible for them to loosen. As mentioned by Jeff earlier, you must be applying enough pressure when covering it or putting it down to create contact.

I have had issues when I accidentally turned the dial in between shutter speed modes (e.g. single vs hi+) where it doesn’t quite lock into either mode. Worth a try if that is your issue.

1) Clean the contacts
2) Check the screws on both the camera mount and the lens mount

My friend had a screw loosen on the camera mount recently so it is possible for them to loosen. As mentioned by Jeff earlier, you must be applying enough pressure when covering it or putting it down to create contact.
Thx a lot for the valuable tip.The camera mount screws had indeed become loose. I tightened them & every thing is back to normal !
I really owe you one !:)

Last edited:
Back