Future Nikon Firmware Z9/Z8 as a unified platform

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon has essentially integrated their mid/high end cameras into one unified platform. It is safe to say that their processors, architecture, and software driven autofocus is identical between the Z8/Z9.

Nikon's major issue with their competition has been (and remains) their ability to write competent software.

Now that we know the Z8 is essentially a Z9 without a battery pack, it stands to reason that they are focusing heavily on firmware updates and modifications to this new "platform" they've created.

How far do you think they can develop the Z8/Z9 hardware to compete with future releases from Canon, or Sony?

Nikon's press release included the following easter egg:

"Upcoming features will be added in planned firmware updates, including an Auto Capture function, which will allow a photographer to automatically trigger a remote camera on user-set parameters. An update will also allow for the base ISO to be extended down to 200 when shooting video footage with N-Log enabled."

Like with the z9, Nikon has launched a top product with firmware updates planned to be released not far down the line.

As a current Z9 owner - I am "expecting" that Nikon will issue a firmware update for the Z9 that levels up the Z9 to provide it the additional functions/improvements built into the Z8 (even if like many functions I won't use them) and then keep both bodies in sync so that owners like me (I will have a Z8 hopefully very soon) can swap between bodies without any transitions.

Many doubt that Nikon will upgrade the Z9 until the run up to the North American World Cup - and so the pressure will continue on them to keep improving the Z9/Z8. At least this is what I hope.

This is intriguing to contemplate. Only Nikon knows the limits to improve and optimize the performance of EXPEED7, and the buffer memory must set limits as well. In the recent Z8 Discussion, Mark Cruz, Nikon USA stated they have firmware pending.... And note what he underscores about video specifications (!) and Nikon is targeting this market as a priority. So we can expect future software to add new still and video features.

However, I know i'm not the only one surprised that Nikon has not added support for HE* RAW in PreCapture, as this is an important feature that gives these Nikon cameras the advantage: for wildlife and many sports

As for cross-brand comparisons, I think the main area Nikon can still improve the Z8-Z9 is to finetune the menus and giving the Z8 and Z9 even more options.... fixing the gap of at least 2 RSF operations/Bank remains.... A truly affordable prosumer MILC remains MIA in the Z System. The end of the D500 compounds this gap (such that Fuji and Olympus are credible competition).

Otherwise, any serious impetus to switch to a different system primarily for the camera has largely passed (although there there will always be the wealthy grasshoppers....) The performance of the highend FX ILCs has matured to impressive levels, such that many owners are unlikely to tap into the inner complexities of these cameras (!) By late 2021, the Z9 caught up to the industry leading DSLRs, and as of this week, the Z9-Z8 platform has overtaken the latter in yet more key features, with the "D850 upgrade".

Once Nikon has put out the delayed 180-600, what other serious gaps are there in Z lenses? As Nikon has its pragmatic solution is to leverage E and G F-mount lenses, eg Tilt/Shift primes, 180-400 TC, 120-300 f2.8E SR

What happens with the other cameras in the lineup is still a question. I think we can see what the plans are for the 8 and 9. The Z8 will most likely continue to be upgraded mid-cycle between Z9 updates. My thinking is the Z9 will get the latest and greatest tech. The Z8 will get that tech mid-cycle for the Z9 series. Z8 will be trickle down but will not get the latest and greatest "day 1" but be a reapplication of the tech in mid cycle. What happens with the other cameras in Nikon's lineup is anyone's guess. It almost seems as if the Z6 and Z7 series are out on a dead end branch on the family tree but time will tell what they plan for these. Seems like Nikon has hit the lower tier (Z30) and upper tier (Z9 and Z8) choking out the middle.

A second thought is the entire camera industry most likely wants to reduce the churn and slow down the cycle of new product introductions. Consumers have come to expect, almost demand, new body refreshes every couple years and new lenses more frequently. This churn is really expensive. I'm sure all the manufactures would like to step off that hamster wheel for a bit and get more return on their investments (i.e. longer cycle times from intro to refresh). This can be done to some extent with firmware updates. Unfortunately, that can generate "why didn't you put it in there in the first place?" kind of comments. Delicate balance.

Just my lack of coffee thinking on a rainy Saturday morning.
Jeff

I expect to see a Z9 firmware update when the Z8 ships giving it the same functionality as the Z8. I don’t think Nikon wants anything to steal the Z8 thunder until then.

i certainly hope they will keep the expeed7 line synced and keep some updates coming. the more the better imo. i think we're reasonably sure there will be some updates, but unclear to what extent. i'm guessing the z9ii will be expeed8, and then 1) we'll probably see firmware updates of *features* trail off in the 7, and 2) we'll probably also then see the expeed7 trickle down into lower end cameras at that point, maybe even the stacked sensor(s)

As a primarily video shooter on the Z9 system, would love to see them do a video-specific system using the same camera, the same way Canon did with the R5 and R5C and Sony with the FX3. Video-centric menu system is all it is. And add via firmware open gate as Ricci indicated they were going to back in '21.

Back