Future Nikon Z 70-180

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Tim Karels

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I just noticed that on Nikon's website under "Future Lenses", they list a 70-180. Could that be a 70-180 Macro to replace the beloved 70-180 AF-D Micro-Nikkor from 20 years ago? I have not heard mention of it other than what's on their site.

I just noticed that on Nikon's website under "Future Lenses", they list a 70-180. Could that be a 70-180 Macro to replace the beloved 70-180 AF-D Micro-Nikkor from 20 years ago? I have not heard mention of it other than what's on their site.
Here are the specs

The 70-180 Micro-Nikkor has an untapped legacy, long over due to revive. It's one of my surviving AFD Nikkors (with a 85 f1.4). In their commemorative book Eyes of Nikon 2014, at least two of the engineers lauded the 70-180 in interviews: describing its versatility for landscapes as well as close ups of flowers (which Japanese aesthetes rate highly).

It would be surprising if Nikon's engineers and execs, building the Z System, have not considered a short-Telephoto Macro zoom. Arguably, a 70-200 f4S that can focus 1:1 will be yet another successful Zed zoom.

Last edited:
For several years I have had a Nikkor AF-D 70-180 macro, but I don't use it much any more because it is rather heavy and bulky to carry. I'm considering this new 70-180 as a possible replacement. It is smaller and lighter, the MTF charts look much better, and it has almost the same macro capabilities. The major deficiency is that there appears to be no way to attach a tripod collar.

On the other hand, it would be a better general-purpose lens with its lighter weight and f/2.8 aperture.

Yes, I agree fully and I've preordered this 70-180 Z. The compatibility with both Z-mount Teleconverters should also be useful, with the close focusing et al.
The 3 aspherics with 4 ED elements -plus a Super ED - should minimize chromatic aberrations.
Once it's out in the world, perhaps it will be possible to attach a padded lens clamp with ArcaSwiss foot on the lens barrel. There are two possible positions judging from the profile photos.

the 100-400 could be considered a 200 macro 😆
Yep! 100-400 +1/4 TC at 430mm. Quick shot. Should have been at at least f16
Z91_3155-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The new 70-180 specification indicates good macro ability.

It focuses to within a whisker of half life-size at 180mm at f2.8 unaided - similar to the long gone AF-S F mount 70-180 at f5.6 at 180mm - that I never rated for bokeh .

With the Z 1.4 TC this new lens becomes a 250mm f4 and with a 2x it gets within a whisker of 1:1 at 360mm f5.6.

I expect it will be the best macro zoom from Nikon for some time - though the 100-400 with a 1.4 TC as illustrated in an earlier post is very able for close up work.

Maybe some day there will be a Z macro prime around 200mm accepting Z TCs and with in lens VR of 5 or more stops..

No VR capability with the 70-180mm lens and I found with the 70-200mm that at 200mm I often needed VR to get usable images without motion blur when shooting hand held indoors.

The thing I find odd about this lens and the 28-75 f2.8 (also a rebadged Tamron) is that they have no switch on the barrel to go from autofocus to manual focus. I suppose it can be done in the camera menu but this seems like a nuisance. I routinely use the AF/MF switch on the lens barrel and this feature alone is a deal breaker for me. As someone else said the lack of VR compared to the 70-200 is a problem as well. Thankfully I have a Z 70-200 waiting for me at my local dealer (but not the Z8 that it will go on, which is why I have not picked it up yet).

No VR capability with the 70-180mm lens and I found with the 70-200mm that at 200mm I often needed VR to get usable images without motion blur when shooting hand held indoors.
to be clear, VR/IS only prevent blur from you shaking. They don't improve the ability to remove blur from subjects moving. It might be that you're shaking a lot (relatively), or have poor technique for longer/heavier lenses.

The mirrorless cameras with built in VR will certainly compensate for the lack of VR in the lens.
To some extent yes.

The in lens VR capability is up to 5.5 stops on the 100-400 at 400mm and 4.5 stops on the 105 VR at 105mm.
It is not the same for all lenses.

The Nikon IBIS VR equivalent is 5 stops - with the 24-70 f4.
Nikon does not give IBIS equivalents for any other lens without in-lens VR :confused:

If the 70-180 at 180 mm responds to IBIS exactly the same as the 24-70 f4 at 70mm then the focal length camera shake difference between 180mm and 400mn reduces the potential IBIS benefit to about 3.66 stops.

The effect of camera shake is greater at 400mm than at 180mm - part closing the gap by about 1 stop between 3.66 (estimate) for the 70-180 at 180mm and Nikon's 5.5 stops for the 400mm at 400mm.

Actual testing is needed to get an exact comparison.

I am not aware of the IBIS specification focus distance/magnification - other than it is unlikely to be half life size that the 70-180 can achieve - because very few in-production lenses (from any manufacturer) achieve half life size unaided.

My speculation is the actual VR effect with both lenses at the telephoto end with a subject about 6 feet wide or wider will be similar.

The 6 feet wide or wider is based on Nikon's guidance for the F mount 105 VR that says the quoted VR number (given as a magnification factor) assumes a subject 6 foot wide or wider.

Back