FYI: Nikon 180-600 Optical Anomaly

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I have seen banding in my images it was always when using Adobe ACR to convert the raw files. When I converted those files using Nikon software the banding was not evident. I would save the files in TIFF format and then open them in Photoshop for further processing. Adob's people reverse engineer ACR and this has its shortcomings.

With the D850 camera I found myself with images of animals where the background contained fan palms. The leaves or fronds generating considerable Moire in many of the images. This was a problem with the sensor and data processing and not the lens that was used.

Many lenses(and particularly inexpensive ones) have "weak points" is certain conditions. For most people they never present a problem. For example the specular highlights issue with PF lenses. Only happens in specific situations and most people never see it in their photography. Well I seem to have found one of those situations with the 180-600. Nothing major but something to be aware of for anyone who shoots over water.

In the below example you can see lateral lines/bands in the BG. They show up worst just above the bird's head and in front of it but extend horizontally all the way across the middle of the frame. The BG was rippled water with low side lighting. The lines/banding only shows up in the OOF BG/bokeh. The image is cropped to about 20 percent of full frame. I shot a couple of hundred images that morning both before and after this was taken. Only this sequence under these particular conditions resulted in this anomaly.

View attachment 79505
The IQ cost of spending $1800 vs $12,000. Since it only occurs a few times, sounds like a great to me

Someone mentioned moire. This kind of reminds me of moire. That wouldn't be due to the lens as it would be due to using a digital camera. Moire doesn't have to be with manmade objects. I took and image of a black and white dog where the fur was crossing a bit in a particular area. I got moire. As Steve said it's not an all the time thing. So if this is a rare instance and not consistent I wouldn't worry about it. This is the lens I'm saving up for so I can do some wildlife. Other than this do you like the lens?

When I have seen banding in my images it was always when using Adobe ACR to convert the raw files. When I converted those files using Nikon software the banding was not evident. I would save the files in TIFF format and then open them in Photoshop for further processing. Adob's people reverse engineer ACR and this has its shortcomings.

With the D850 camera I found myself with images of animals where the background contained fan palms. The leaves or fronds generating considerable Moire in many of the images. This was a problem with the sensor and data processing and not the lens that was used.
RAW conversion on this image was done with DxO PL7. After reading this I went and opened it with NX Studio and it looks the same.

was the exposure lossless raw, HE*, HE, JPG? If HE* wonder if it could be compress artifiact?
Lossless.

Someone mentioned moire. This kind of reminds me of moire. That wouldn't be due to the lens as it would be due to using a digital camera. Moire doesn't have to be with manmade objects. I took and image of a black and white dog where the fur was crossing a bit in a particular area. I got moire. As Steve said it's not an all the time thing. So if this is a rare instance and not consistent I wouldn't worry about it. This is the lens I'm saving up for so I can do some wildlife. Other than this do you like the lens?
In my experience moire usually shows up with color shifts which isn't the case here. The sensor certainly plays a part. But I've shot several thousand frames across water with the Z8/9 and at least a few hundred over similarly rippled water. Never seen anything similar so far. Maybe just coincidence the first time seeing this is with this particular lens attached.

I've not shot with the lens a lot yet but liking it so far.

Again, I’m not sure that this phenomenon is unique to this lens and have seen it before with a high quality prime +tc over water. I think it is an interference pattern created by a combination of waves, light, and a sensor scanning at the right frequencies to produce this. Perhaps, I’m off but again would encourage the OP to send this image to Nikon for comment.

Again, I’m not sure that this phenomenon is unique to this lens...Perhaps, I’m off but again would encourage the OP to send this image to Nikon for comment.
If I had a direct pipeline to someone in Nikon's engineering department I'd do so. But based on past experience dealing with their customer support I'm not inclined to go there. Besides, I'm no longer part of the ten percent of people helping make the world go around. I'm now part of the ninety percent that just go on the web and complain when something goes wrong. Why try to be part of the solution when it's so much easier to exacerbate problems? :rolleyes:

If I had a direct pipeline to someone in Nikon's engineering department I'd do so. But based on past experience dealing with their customer support I'm not inclined to go there. Besides, I'm no longer part of the ten percent of people helping make the world go around. I'm now part of the ninety percent that just go on the web and complain when something goes wrong. Why try to be part of the solution when it's so much easier to exacerbate problems? :rolleyes:
I like the cut of your jib 😂

The key aspect is that it was an "anomaly". When I have experienced Moire it was with stripped shirts and stripped ties and lace veils. It would be apparent in fewer than 1% of the images taken at the time so I simply did not use those images. With the images from the fan palms in the background it was a problem with 100% of the images I took and I could not change my location or that of my subjects.

I often see Moire in wildlife films shot with digital cameras and the editors chose to include the footage and hope that most people will would notice it.

Back